Wednesday, February 13, 2008

slippin' & a slidin'

This morning's commute was HELLACIOUS, people!! But as I am intrepid as they come, I donned my St Christopher medal, warm threads, and set out. As I backed out of the garage and down the drive, the whole of my attention was fixated behind me, I was all zoned in on trying to not to go into a backwards, downhill 180 spin (as I did earlier this season) and aiming ever so carefully for *not* the snowbank. So when I got headed out on the road and-at last- turned and looked at my windshield , I was unpleasantly surprised to find that said windshield was a totally opaque sheet of ice. I had about an inch & a half long clearing I could see through. My windshield wipers (my well chosen & artfully installed new wipers, that is) were a-goin', but without my windshield being warmed up they were just scraping over the sheet of ice. So I had to park for a bit and gain some visibility. When I did finally get going I managed okay ...this is because I go insanely slowly. There was this nerve wracking episode with an 18wheeler that was making the merge onto I 89S (coming from I-91 N) but I handled that okay (pheeew!).

So I figured, after braving such treacherous impediments to get here today, that I should get beaucoup " points" merely for showing up...thereby giving me a license to slack off. Yes, I am prone to slacking everyday, but today I felt entitled. Oh, I suppose my boss being on vaca this week contributed somewhat to this feeling.

And then --in this mood-- I discover that some Austen fiend had uploaded the entire Sense & Sensibility mini on to YouTube. This would be the 2007 BBC production...the one that I would have to wait until March for if I am to see it on my local PBS (via Masterpiece Theater). I came thisclose to watching that today. Of course I would've been on the phone, & paused the player for any customer phone calls, but still... that is a mighty BOLD exercise in slacking. Ultimately, I didn't have stones for it. I started to watch, got about midway through opening credits before I said "Aw damn it, I CAN'T. Even *I* can't goof off so egregiously!!"

Speaking of that type of movie (and my compulsive consumption of them), I couldn't find a damned thing on the telly last night so I wound up watching Persuasion again. Of course, I enjoyed it very much, but it pains me to be so lamely repetitive. . . .

No comments: