Thursday, February 21, 2008

Mood Check

Current mood: petulant. I looked that word up (@ the ol' m-w) to make sure that that meant what I thought it meant and not only did it mean what I thought it meant, but it also perfectly describes my attitude today.



Everybody else seems to have reverted back to this business-as-usual good humor and I can't stand it. They expect this great equanimity out of us, and even though I realize it's the high road and it would behoove me to strive for that, I find I am, perversely, clinging to a sour mood. I am withholding my equanimity out of spite!!



I'm not silly enough to be grumbling at people, or hollering, or glaring or anything. I've just gotten overtly withdrawn. OK , well I can't suppress the occasional snide comment either. When opening the departmental mini fridge to get coffee creamer this morning there were not one, but two cartons. At which I marvelled "Hey wow. TWO creamers. Isn't that ambitious??"



I don't know if Maggie (bosslady) heard that or if she just is perceptive enough to know what overt withdrawl means when I do it (doubt that), but moments later she stopped by my desk and we had this exchange---



MAGS: How ya doing?

ME: Oh. Just. . . DUCKY

MAGS: Not in a good mood?

ME: Not particularly

MAGS: Why is that?

ME: {I'm wanting to say "CAN YOU FUCKING GUESS??" but instead replied--} Hmm. Just on a WHIM, I suppose.



It BUGS me that management is being all sensitive with us and handling us so delicately. I can't help but wonder how much of that sensitivity is borne of genuine concern and how much of it is them thinking "We don't want another Brian Mackerel on our hands--yikes!!"



Nance was the worst. First off she was saying how she wanted us to train people in TX on the accounts/customers that we'd "bonded" with...y'know acquaint them with these customers' idiosyncrasies, or whatever. She was saying " So that the transition is as easy (by "easy" she means "seamless") for the customer as possible." and then she falters "Well of course it'll be different for them.. (then,attempting a feeble joke:) Everyone will have Texan accents..." To which I remarked "Ah..otherwise it'll be Sandra 2.0"
She kept reiterating how we should present this to the customers...that is, if we MUST present it at all. The recommended approach, if I understand her rightly, is to NEVER bring it up, but if (heaven forfend) it comes up in conversation we absolutely must broach the subject with the utmost impartiality and glad fucking tidings. It irks me that she apparently thinks we're going to go all Howard Beale on the customers. Actually, she probably wouldn't think up such an allusion, as I can't imagine her taking in an excellent movie like Network. Search me what the fuck she watches. If I were to speculate...well...I couldn't say for cinematic tastes, but Nance totally strikes me as a loyal Nancy Grace viewer. Not only because they share a first name either. Oh did I mention that-- the name "Nance" spelled N-A-N-C-E does *not* rhyme with "pants" it's pronounced "Nancy". I know the spelling of names is not the exact science that the spelling of nouns or adjectives or verbs is..but come on. If you insist on spelling your name so f***king MORONICALLY, than get set for people to botch the pronunciation, ok??

Since Howard Beale is my fave movie icon du jour. I'll post below his classic tirade... This dude is THE SHIT,yo....

No comments: