Tuesday, February 12, 2008

CHECK yo'self b4 ya wreck yo'self...

A'right, I don't want y'all to think that I am ENTIRELY frivolous... so I should mention that last night I also went to Walmart & bought new wiper blades. My father urged me to go to AutoZone because they'll install 'em for free. Oh, pish, whatev. I can replace wiper blades on my own. Going to Walmart wasn't totally an act of defiance...it happens to be in the same plaza as Borders and I didn't fancy going across town to AutoZone. I'm all about "one-stop shopping" y'know.

Honestly though, I did have a spot o' difficulty replacing those wiper blades. It's not a terribly complicated procedure or anything like that but the trouble was the old blades' condition (frozen & rusted) and my fingers' condition (just frozen). But eventually I managed it. GIRL POWER!! WOOOO!

In other practical purchasing news, I am in the market for new checks. I just
finished off my 2nd box of these checks...their theme was sort of the fads & events of the 20th century. There were 7 designs: years 1900-1920 /yrs 1920-1930/1930-40/1940-50/1950-60/1960-70/1970-80/1980-90/and 1990-99 and like the 30s one had a pic of FDR on it and there was, I think, a TV dinner on the 50s check and that sorta thing. It was a cool theme for about a 1/2 box worth of checks but I eventually I got bored as hell with 'em. I was very relieved when I wrote out the very LAST 20th ce. check the other day.

So, because I wanted checks that visually stimulate me (and don't become tiresome too quickly) and also because a check is somewhat like a modern day calling card (shouldn't say "modern day" as checks are pretty passé these days) I took a good hunk of time today deliberating over what design to get. I still have not decided. I actually pasted screen caps of all my most favoritest styles to an email which I sent out to my coworkers -seeking their input. I have no intention to go by what they tell me, but I find that sometimes an outside ruling helps you to really weed out what you don't want...

So, some standout check designs...

"Fresco" design from the Check Gallery. This design is very pretty. I do like 'em. But I feel like these checks tell people: "I AM BORING". Which is pretty much true, but I don't wish to broadcast that.

Argyle checks from Styles Check co. I love argyle. It's high up there on my "fave patterns" mental list ...probably it's 4th on there, right after the Matheson tartan (a sentimental favorite), houndstooth check & herringbone. But I feel like, after going through 2 boxes of these, I will utterly HATE argyle. Plus, these are a bit on the boring side too.

KISS checks --also from Styles. Ideal for covering business expenses when you're dispatching with commissions handed down to you by your superior officer in the KISS army. Ha! Be sure to sheath these in a matching KISS logo leather checkbook cover.
Styles has a small category of "super fan" designs where you can get checks with your favorite rock star on 'em , WWE personality,or country singer (there was a shitload of country music checks available..blecch! But it follows that there would be some NASCAR checks offered too. This, shockingly, was NOT the case. What gives, dudes??) I can understand the inclusion of KISS in the "rock star" subsection (they ARE legends), but the other offerings were just silly. Who the f is ordering PANTERA CHECKS, I'd like to know?? Oh, and in a similar vein (that being bewilderingly obscure check designs) Styles also sells Elvira checks. You heard correct: ELVIRA CHECKS. Who the hell orders those?? I mean besides those Oakridge Boys-- who are infamously fond of her ("hearts on fire" reportedly...)
Anyways, I like KISS and these checks definitely don't fall into the dread "boring" category. But I don't like KISS that much. Perhaps I'd consider it if all 4 designs had shots of the fabled Simmons TONGUE...

"Fernando" checks...again from Styles. I must concede, those guys are awesome over at Styles. Normally, I would skip the "Animal" category altogether, but I thought-- wtf, I'll just take a quick peek. I was surprised to find these bizarro checks in that group. These crack me up. But I think they would only crack me up for a very limited time.

Styles also sells Las Vegas checks. These are totally foxy checks. But I feel like I have no business having Vegas checks as I don't live in or even remotely near Vegas, have never visited there, have no immediate plans to visit...
Still, they are quite attractive.. . .

I like these Flower Fairies checks from Classic Checks. I have admired Cicely Mary Barker's illustrations before. I don't think I can do any fairy themed checks though. It's the whole checks-as-representation concept...a fairy theme would imply to people that I harness the healing powers of crystals and have some gross new agey lower back tattoo... y'know, that whole type. I can't allow that...

These Beatrix Potter checks are a real front runner. Aren't they a-freakin'-DORABLE?? I don't know if it's a positive representation of yours truly but everything it implies is true-- I am hopelessly regressed ..also a Brit wannabe.

From Image Checks you can buy My Little Pony checks. I guess that's all I wanted to point out-- that you can buy My Little Pony checks. And I love that fact. But this is like the KISS checks. I'm not that into My Little Ponys. Although I would DEFINITELY buy these if I were opening a checking account for my niece Sadie.

I love me some PLAID. But only ONE design? Really, folks? I know checks are-as I've said-- passé. But still...show a little friggen' EFFORT, wouldja? These are noteworthy because plaid is innately awesome-- prevented from being a real contender on account of there being just 1 design. Now, if I was able to personalize and order in my clan tartan then this would shoot up to the top 3 of the contender list.
I think Laura had these checks at one time...and not all that long ago either. She has different ones now (I know this since she just gave me a check on Saturday) They really go thru a lotta checks those guys. Those 20th century checks I just polished off?? I've had those since the dawn of time or thereabouts. No kidding. 2 boxes last me FOREVAH.

"Founding Fathers" checks...also a front runner in my mind. Seriously, I love these. I feel like you may be scoffing because there was a deal of scoffing amongst my coworkers. Heather got my email and she said "Oooh you found some good ones.." then there was a pause and she goes "wait--what the hell are these OLD GUY CHECKS??" Lisa recognized the theme, but she said "Ugh. Yuck on the Founding Fathers checks."
But Robin was with me in appreciating these checks. Well, peer support or no, I think they're just terrif...

"Emerald Isle" checks from Identity Checks. I also scoped out some scenic England checks they offered and some "Bonnie Scotland".. but I thought they got their best shots of Ireland. I would love to visit (or retire to??) any of those countries so I feel more entitled to using these checks (than the Vegas ones). Although my concern is that gazing regularly at these lovely vistas would make me all wistful and --ultimately-- discontent.

Well, more discontent than I already am, I mean....


I was grousing aloud to the office-- you get what, 4 books per box o' checks (I don't quite recall. As I've said it's been ages since I've had to order checks) I wish one of these check companies would allow you to mix styles within a box. WHY on earth isn't this offered ?? Robin's answer to that question (WHY?) is probably the truth. She figures there's just not much demand for such thing ...because few people AGONIZE over check selection like I do...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My personal fav is the Fernando... Vegas is overated.