Wednesday, February 06, 2008

tee time

I wiled away some time yesterday on the 80s Tees website, where I found a slew of tees that I dug. For your further enlightenment here is that slew ...after all, there's only 7 more shopping days before Valentine's Day. And a humorous tee is ALWAYS appreciated...


**click image for full page expand

1. It's not as if I ever watch Chuck Norris movies, and it's not as if I can sit through any duration of Walker Texas Ranger without throwing up in my mouth a little. Therefore, I don't exactly appreciate Chuck Norris as an actor/ action star. But I inexplicably ADORE C-Nor as a punchline. For instance, this page is quite amusing and this vid is AWWWESOME .

2. Did Yoda promote literacy at any point in the Star Wars saga? I don't recall him doing so, but I LIKE IT. I can't think of a better cause for the li'l guy to champion...





3. Just in case you didn't know . . . WYLD STALLIONS RULE!!





4. I actually had a Sloth shirt...but not this one. I got a big armpit hole in it and that escalated into me ripping the sleeves off. And so it was for a while my icky sticky hot weather bedtime tee (as it was too to' up--literally-- for donning in public) But then I lost it. I still feel the void...that gaping, tragic void. Ideally I would replace it with the exact same Sloth tee...but this one may suffice.





5. Good shirt...only thing needed to make it *GREAT* is the addition of the phrase "Truly, truly,truly outrageous" somewhere on here


6. I actually have this shirt so it didn't need to be in the tee shirt wish list collage. I just couldn't resist GLOATING over what a kick-ass Fred Sanford tee shirt I own.


7. There were quite a lot of Little Miss/ Little Mr tees on this site but the 2 shown here are my favorites. This one would be the #1 fave though. What was Little Miss Splendid's deal anyways?? No, that's not a snide rhetorical query...I really don't know. I didn't have that book. Was she snobby??


8. They had a retro-video /computer games section on this site and I looked for Oregon Trail on a whim, not really expecting to find it. But --voila!-- here you have it. All their Oregon Trail tees are really archaic looking screen caps from the very 1st version of OT. This one pictured is the silliest. I would be reluctant to wear a shirt proclaiming "YOU HAVE DIED OF DYSENTERY" if only a miniscule sector of the general populace is going to pick up on the allusion. I mean, this is just a nano-degree above having a shirt with the word "DIARRHEA" on it, and that-- eww.


But on the other hand... I have such fond Oregon Trail memories. I get the reference,anyways. And it's certainly not unlike me to joke solely for my own benefit. ..


9. I heart the flux capacitor. It happens to be my go-to imaginary part when I am goofing around , blathering away with make-believe tech jargon. Which happens more frequently than you'd think.


The only Back To the Future shirt that could top this : "I am your DENSITY" George McFly MADE that movie. That's why the 2 George McFly-less sequels are so sucky.


10. Ideally I'd like my Sixteen Candles themed tee to have the Long Duc Dong quote: "Oooh Sessy Guuuhlfweeend!" But, in lieu of that, this is okay.





11. I have vague recollections of the Ewoks in the original Star Wars trilogy...like, I don't even know fer sure if they were in Return o' the Jedi or Empire. But I taped Ewoks:The Battle for Endor off TV back in '85 (it's really sad! Her family dies!) and watched it approximately a trillion times. I remember thinkin' Cindal was the coolest girl's name EVER.


12. I really didn't think I'd find my favorite quote amongst the selection of Dirty Dancing shirts. Sure they had the considerably more popular "Nobody puts Baby in a corner!" and a hugely stupid tee that said "Johnny Castle taught me my moves" . But this one is undeniably the best--even if the Dirty Dancing connection is less than overt here.


13. This is good...but I later found #22 that I like better, referencing the same terrif SNL skit.


14. I ADORE this shirt. Seems like...if all kings were like King Friday, there wouldn't be any anti-monarchism sentiment in the world...there couldn't possibly be!


15. A tee of Christopher Walken dancing. Need I explain how that's excellent? I don't think I should have to. I do think H'wood should be cranking out more movie musicals. And then Walken can eschew crap roles in crap films (ie: BALLS OF FURY) and take on more dancing roles. In lieu of that, he could maybe take on a crap dancing role in a crap film...like maybe as the headmaster of Dance Academy in Step Up IV: The Reckoning


Oh, if you wanna see some fine Walken moves, (even better than in that Fatboy Slim vid, I swear!) you should really rent the 1981 Steve Martin flick Pennies From Heaven.


16. The tee that started it all. We have a customer named Carmen who frequently calls in, and whenever she does Robin and I always call her "Carmen Sandiego" (unbeknownst to her) & crack jokes like "WHERE IN THE WORLD is she?? Put a trace on that call!" Which is TOTALLY lame but it has been known to be effective in making someone laugh and/or lose their composure when on the phone with a customer (and that's sort of a competitive sport 'round here). Anyways, we'd had a Carmen call on Tuesday and we were doing the customary jokes. And I suddenly got the nostalgic warm fuzzies about "Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?" and was telling the gang how I used to be kind of a rockstar at that game when I played it on my Apple IIGS once upon a time. And then I got to wondering what sort of retro Carmen Sandiego merchandising there was to be had out there. It was in this pursuit I wound up at 80s Tees and then began compiling the silly collage that lead to this worthless post.


17. "Beeee Goood"-- hands-down my favorite ET-ism. I know "Phone home" is the ubiquitous ET quote, but this I really prefer. I think he learns this from Gertie and the Speak 'n' spell and /or Sesame Street.


18. The sector of my heart devoted to Magnum P.I. loves this shirt too...but is too preoccupied with lamenting a certain hideous rumor to persuade me to buy this tee.


19. who doesn't heart Matt Foley? As long as there's going to be a "Chris Farley" subset of novelty tees, they oughtta immortalize the "Fat Guy in a Little Coat" bit from Tommy Boy. I love that!!


20. This was one of three Perfect Strangers tees available. One was an plain ol' pic of Larry & Balki that reads "Perfect Strangers" (less than hilarious, that) and the other one struck me as downright creepy. This one is the best o' what slim pickin's they got. Ideally though...they'd carry a shirt depicting the infamous "Dance Of Joy" . Yes, that's a brilliant notion... I must write to someone . ..


21. " You were working as a waitress at a cocktail bar...."


22. see #13, #15...


23. Sort of an inside joke...they don't go for the obvious stapler gag here. I appreciate. Have I mentioned before that the fictitious Peter Gibbons may very well be my soulmate??


24. I like Little Miss Splendid better, but this one may be a closer match to my own disposition.


Heeey--why on earth don't they have tees with the Sweet Pickles gang on 'em??


25. This would be a wonderful addition to my burgeoning collection of Fred Sanford attire. This was Fred's signature beverage--he used to mix up champagne with ripple. . .and voila! CHAMPIPPLE.


26. I watched this show as a youth and somehow, the only thing retained in my memory is that theme song ("Believe it or not, I'm walking on air!! I never though I could feel...so free-eeee-eee...") I have been tempted to buy the Season 1 DVD set in order to jog my memory (let it be known that this is one ridiculous urge I have not yet succumbed to...)


27 a-f. I MUST own a Big Lebowski shirt. I can't really decide which is the best here. As far as text, I really like the phrase "The Dude Abides" but I'm not too big on that odd over-the-shoulder shot we have here in 27c . I think ultimately, it comes down to deciding between either 27d or 27f....


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go for 27F....and my fav line from the Dirty Dancing is "I carried a watermelon."

Sandra said...

It's my favorite line too!! I just reread the post and saw how I wrote it all weird and that point was unclear. But "I carried a watermelon" is the absolute best . Though this shirt is a bit like the Oregon Trail one in that it's less than obvious just what the hell you're alluding to..