Saturday, May 16, 2009

ummm...

...not much to say...and yet... I don't wanna just skip posting and consequently slip into some downward spiral of horrible neglect. (Ya ever notice how very little one ever hears about "upward spirals"?) Instead of trying to drum up some cohesive or substantial banter, I'm just going to deposit here the highlights of tonight's disjointed web meanderings.


I was looking at patio furniture on the Kmart site, trying to find the set that had caught my eye in the flyer a coupla weeks ago. I believe it was the Aberdeen Wire Bistro set.

Then--of course--I hit Facebook. Seems the novelty wears off around the same time you realize that none of your friends look at Facebook as regularly as you do. Hmm.


I found info on a board game Laura and I used to play the hell out of back in the day...



It was something like Hungry Hungry Hippos...minus the pro-gluttony agenda.

This launched me on a massive 70s/ 80s toys reverie. During which I fondly reminisced over--




[Fabulous Fred ] The Mego Corp was not whistling Dixie here, my friends. This game really was FAB. I found the one we had about 5 yrs ago and it was all covered in gummy battery leakage so I trashed it. DAAAAAMN.



Dolly Pops. We had this exact set. The dark brunette Dolly Pop was my fave.
Oh, also I'm racking my brains trying to come up with a name for these teeny tiny plastic dolls we had -- there were two (or we just had two, anyways) one had its house inside a plastic ice cream sundae and the other dwelled in a plastic Oreo. The dolls weren't 1/2 so cool as their sweet abodes...
Speaking of sweet abodes... behold....THE KENNER FAMILY TREE HOUSE

Perhaps I should clarify... it was made by Kenner (toy company par excellence in the 80s) no Kenners actually lived in there. Actually, I don't remember any of the li'l plastic folk that came with this set. I just remember that awesome, awesome pop up tree casa. Can you believe someone on eBay had bid $125. for one of these? Yeah,I know I just said it was awesome..but I feel it's--at the very most--$45 worth of awesome.

My toy ruminations somehow led me to the ad for this wackadoo game (which we did NOT have... pity)

It's a Dracula Gaaaaame! Wild. This is the first I've heard about Drac having any sort of finger fetish. I had always understood him to be a neck man.

Also found this goodness on YouTube...

Whenever I've sang this tune (yes, I have had occasion to sing this...you'd be surprised)(or perhaps you wouldn't!!) I always have trouble with the line "But bananas like the climate of the very very tropical equator" It's like they're trying to pack as many syllables into that line as they possibly can. 'Tis rather unwieldy. Plus the version I learned didn't have that last verse (about docs recommending bananas for babies) and it didn't have the bit where Ms Banana is flirting with the other bananas. Not sure that's officially part of the song. After the " You can put them in the salad..." line, I'm all pumped to launch into possibly the best lyric of the jingle : "You can put them in a pie-yiie.."but in this stupid version that is vexingly delayed.

I then went on to discover that the very rad Bananas in Pyjamas have their own website. I used to watch ol' B1& B2...back in college. Also went through a huge Spenser for Hire kick my junior year of college.

More findings from YouTube (not banana related)...

I told you these meanderings were disjointed!! YouTube actually has a spectacular array of drive-in intermission films. I spent quite a while browsing through that goldmine. I just love those for some reason. Kinda bums me out though that the only one I recall ever seeing at the drive-in is...

In fact, that is the very intermission cartoon that my local drive-in currently runs (as of last summer anyways...wonder if the drive-in is open for the season yet?? I try to go at least once every summer. This has really got me jonesin' to go!! And even jonesin' to try one of their questionable concession stand hot dogs too!!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

are the little dolls you're thinking of called Mimi and the Goo Goos?

Nicole said...

The dolls in the cookie house and sundae were called Sweet Treats. I still have mine.

Sandra said...

Get outta town ...really? It's been forever that I haven't known wtf they were called...I'm actually in shock to some degree. Sweet Treats?? For reals??

@Anonymous--meant to reply earlier that it was for sure not Mimi & the Goo Goos b/c those were out in the mid-nineties and my dolls predate that by 10+ years

Jessica said...

Waaaaay late. But she's right. They are called Sweet Treats. I have one still. :-)

Sandra said...

I looked up Sweet Treats here--
http://www.ghostofthedoll.co.uk/Toys_SweetTreats.htm

I love y'all for trying to help me but if that's the Sweet Treats dolls you mean..then, NOT IT. I suppose there could be more than 1 doll line w/ that name.

The dolls I am trying to put a name to were like 2" high at most...all plastic except the hair. They had plastic houses in an Oreo and a sundae..

Sandra said...

Oh..wait, it WAS Sweet Treats...but not just Sweet Treats dolls ( the big plush kind like I thought you meant) But there was a Sweet Treats line of Liddle Kiddle dolls. And THAT is what I had. Finally sighted it on eBay. It seems as if both the sundae dweller and the Oreo dweller are rare (the latter even more so)