Thursday, May 28, 2009

After the movies last night, I walked over to Price Chopper to grab some eats for today's lunch. Heather had picked up the tab for din, (it was her turn, but I had forgotten that, so it was like an unexpected treat! Woo-hoooo!) so I felt like I had an extra $20 and I went to spend that on grocery items. So I had loaded up a basket (parenthetical tangent--9 times outta 10 I opt for a basket over a cart...no having to steer around other a-holes w/ carts and you can employ the if-it's-getting-too-heavy-you're-spending-too-much principle. Oh, but I do so dig those tall mini carts. D'ya know the ones I mean?? They seem to be sort of a recent phenom, and I am inordinately fond of them...) had loaded up the cart with food & bevs and was on my way up to the register and I spotted a display of neat cosmetics--this brand, Mode, that I'd never seen before-- and I decided to get a little sampling of the whole line(something for the eyes, cheeks, lips, & a nail polish) and then I went through the whole store putting my food items back so all I wound up buying was a chocolate milk, and 40 oz AZ Iced Tea Arnold Palmer, and makeup.

I know it's a bit loopy of me to say so, but I think that decision shows a *positive* shift in priorities. I'm sure as hell not in any danger of being under-nourished--no matter what my mom thinks (every conversation I have with her invariably starts out with a panicky query from her:"DID YOU EAT DINNER?? What did you eat for dinner?") and you just cannot underestimate the good effects of artful preening. Or you shouldn't, rather.

For someone with such a vain streak (the vanity--it ebbs and it flows. Today is an "ebb" day for sure-- I look utterly horrendous) you think I woulda noticed putting my underwear on inside out today. OK, well I did notice it, but not until midafternoon and my 3rd trip to the bathroom. Sadly, this is NOT the first time I have done this. Oy vey.

Oh, another thing I discovered in the bathroom (geeez, that's an alarming way to start a paragraph...or conversation) is that these new pants of mine (bought them this past Saturday at Maurice's) have a secret inside pocket. That's pretty rad, even if have no earthly clue what it's for. I guess generally something like that is for stashing very valuable valuables when you traverse high mugging zones, or perhaps for storing away cyanide num-nums for when you are caught (ahhh, but caught for what? Eh??) The vexing thing about this inside pocket is that it is a little pouch, hanging just below the waistband on the inside, secured shut with a button. .. but in no way accessible from the outside. So this means, to input/extract any objects in/from this "secret" pocket, I have to yank up my shirt, pull out my waistband and dig in there. And as this is a secret pocket (a clothier's equivalent of "spy gear") I ought to be covert about that somehow. Hmmm. I shall have to practice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I give you credit for taking the food back and just purchasing the cosmetics (more or less). If it would have been me, I would have bought both the food and the cometics and then eaten all of the food (in one setting) because I was depressed at having spent more money than I should have.