Monday, May 04, 2009

I did get to watch “Little Dorrit” this weekend. And it didn’t end up raining, so it winds up a black demerit on my permanent record. By that I mean that it was self-indulgent sloth whereas, on a rainy weekend, I could chalk it up to weather-dictated downtime. That’s part of why I’m a big fan of the rain.

But anyways, back to Little Dorrit… I must read the Dickens novel now. At 14 episodes--totalling 452 minutes-- it seems like they couldn’t possibly have left anything out. But still, I *gotta* read it now, to be sure. I’m a bit irked, because I REALLY prefer to ingest stories not in that order. I’d much rather read the book, then see the movie. Now I won’t have any choice in my mental “casting”. Phooey. This cast was pretty excellent, (more on that in a bit) but I would just like to have a choice in the matter, y’know? The two storylines I feel were kinda unresolved were Tattiecoram’s & John Chivery’s (Jr.). For Chivery, who was so suparhumanly sweet & adorable, well ya just wanted to see him have a happy ending—shake off that broken heart and find some love (of the reciprocal variety).
At the very end scene of the flick, you see that Tattiecoram opted to return to the Meagles’, but her return is not at all shown or explained. You never know if she got over her anger management issues. Her character was kind of ridiculous. Her frustration was certainly understandable, but still you couldn’t take her seriously with her being all petulant-acting & yelly all the time. Another reason to read the book there—see if Tattiecoram was written that way or if that was just that actress’s interpretation. And the character of Miss Wade seemed to have this great malevolent potential but they kind of glossed over her storyline. How did she know Rigaud anyways?
Now Rigaud was a FANTASTIC badass. A fantastic French badass...he was excellent.

Another standout in the cast (for me) was Matthew McFayden...this movie made me a smidge smitten with him. It's funny--empirically speaking, he is not a handsome guy, but I always find him very appealling somehow. Like in the big love declaration scene in the 2005 Pride & Prejudice -- he's striding across this misty mornin' meadow and I'm like: DAMN--you can see Darcy's humongo forehead from 20 hectares away!! But nevertheless, I woulda bolted 'cross said meadow and tackled him. He just exudes this sweetness...or he's rather good at faking sweetness and then exuding that affected sweetness. Whichever...the end result is still twitterpation. Let's not forget he's British and big for starring in period drama flicks. . .both of these things are like CRACK to me.

Anyways ..in summation: hasten thee to Amazon, buy this movie!!

No comments: