Monday, May 18, 2009

food notes

Tonight I made cod for dinner. I'd never cooked it before and wound up adlibbing, but it turned out pretty damn good. Also served up: beets, sno peas & ranch dip, leftover fingerling potatoes, seaweed salad (the sushi guys @ Price Chopper were offering up seaweed salad ...I love me a good seaweed salad) I know, I know, kind of an insane and incohesive menu. But everything was tasty (the beets were the best!).

Perhaps I have made mention of it in one of my "Things I am in LOOOVE with" rants, but I'll rant again (it bears reiteration): I am really digging on the New York Bagel Cafe that opened up recently in W Leb. I have a long love affair with bagels (one that my fat ass can attest to!!)

Lemme tell you exactly what you should order (aka --what I always order)--
smoked turkey or roast turkey (they're both very good...honestly,I can't differentiate) on an everything bagel (lightly toasted), with cheddar cheese, lettuce, onions, tomatoes, & pickles
1/2 honey mustard 1/2 mayo. Now, you KNOWS it's très magnifique, because I get it whenever I go there--well I've only been 3 times, but usually I am loathe to repeat myself when ordering grub. When I dine out, I aim to always tackle somethin' new on the menu. However, this turkey bagelwich I get is SOOO redonkulously yummy, I just cannot conceive of a bagelwich that could surpass it.

Ok, I shall make with the linky goodness....but RELUCTANTLY (since I feel I have been a bit "link-happy" as of late)

I'm curious about this new place called The Common Man that's due to open up next month in Claremont. I was surprised to read the company history they've got posted on their website--these guys are all over the state of NH but I've only just lately heard of 'em. It looks like a restaurant that I'd definitely check out, but I gotta question the wisdom of opting to do a restaurant / inn. From the Claremont page of their site: "Our studies indicated that the community could use more guest rooms to meet the needs of visitors and tourists in the area. The Common Man Inn rooms, which will be located on the lower two levels of the Mill on the Sugar River, will make the Inn an interesting and unique destination.” I don't know who did their "studies" but I kinda wonder if that researcher has ever actually been to Claremont. I go to Claremont quite frequently. It's 24 hr Super Walmart can't be beat and Big Lots is always a Big thrill (for reals! I find lotsa cool shit at BL all the time!) but it's no tourist destination. Not by a looooooong shot. Now I could see them doing an inn in Newport--which is also no tourist spot, but at least that abuts Sunapee (a definite NH tourism hub) but Claremont?? Who is going to want to rent rooms in Claremont unless you want to experience a drunken Big Lots spree and wish to have lodgings you can walk back to (lest you endanger yourself or others with drunk driving) Oh, did I mention that the Dollar Tree next door to Big Lots is the finest dollar store I've ever had the privilege of patronizing?? It's just marvy. OK, so maybe **I** would rent a room at the Common Man Inn (a drunken Big Lots spree doesn't sound like a bad idea!) but I probably would have spent all my $$ on booze & merchandise and I am NOT afraid to sleep in my car anyway.

No comments: