Saturday, May 30, 2009

Eric Bana

I went to see Star Trek this past week, and I barely retained the fact that that movie's villain, Nero, was played by Eric Bana. He didn't particularly WOW me in that role, let's say. And I like Eric Bana. To be fair, I don't think he got much screen time in Star Trek, especially when you consider he's the damn villain of the piece! He was capable enough, alright, just not really given the opportunity to shine.
Now, I can't exactly recall what I'd seen Eric Bana in that caused me to like him, but ever since he came to be known in H'wood, I have liked him. Probably it was a completely superficial appreciation, 'cuz the dude is quite easy on the retinas. Well, last night, I saw him in a movie where his performance just (forgive the trite turn of phrase here) blew me away. So I'm pleased to say I now also like him in a serious, pithy way now..as an artist.

All that just to urge you to go rent the movie Chopper (although, when do I ever opt for brevity, eh?) Once you acclimate to the thick Aussie accent, it's a great movie. Plot-wise, it doesn't exactly move anywhere, but as a character study, it's amazing.

No comments: