Wednesday, May 06, 2009

The thin end of the wedge...

We are at "the thin end of the wedge" in regards to my Facebook usage. That is an expression I picked up from Nancy Mitford's Pursuit of Love (an overall decent read...not much happens but the writing & characters are witty and oh-so-British) and I've been just dying to use it. It's a very Brit phrase, and moves me to ponder just exactly how prevalent it is across the pond. Back in my Thermadyne days, we had a division in Chorley England (wherever that is) and I had my coworker Laurel (who dealt regularly with that international division) question them about the phrase "Bob's your uncle" (an inconcise, but utterly charming Brit version of "voila!") and from that interrogation we learned that that particular expression is not all that popular amongst the British youth of today (similar to the word "dungarees" only being used by the 50+ set ...and me when I'm being intentionally dorky) So anyways, I suspect that "the thin of the wedge" is fading into obscurity too.
But what wedge was I on the thin end of again?? Oh yes..Facebook! This a.m. I got a McSkillet burrito and that is like one of my faaave breakfasts (sadly) and as I experienced this little euphoric taste bud fiesta it suddenly occurred to me: I'll pop on facebook and write a declaration of love for the McSkillet Burrito on select friends' walls!! And then I actually logged in but then I instantly reconsidered: Facebook at work?? Are you MAD, girl??
So that's a bad sign, methinks. I mean, I have good common sense (as evidenced by my prompt backpedalling) but my self control isn't always (isn't usually) up to snuff. So yeah, like I said...thin end of the ol' wedgeroo..

I'm thinking though, that FB is definitely NOT going to totally supplant this blog. Which is kind of a relief, I feel, as I've grown rather fond of this ol' rag. I've hit upon 2 solid reasons to keep up the blog (in other words: advantages it has over FB)

Reason 1: Facebook homepage asks you "What's on your mind??" ...and then it stops you after about a paragraph & a half!! Y'all know that brevity ain't my bag. I'm always having to abridge my litany of "what's on my mind"... So it seems I need a space for non brevity... to yammer on if you will.. whereas FB is more for a rapid fire chit chat sorta thing, interaction...one might even say...social networking.

Reason 2: I constantly find myself compelled to post about something embarrassing. For instance...today when I was at DHMC for Excel classes (by the way, I learned all this stuff on Excel 2007 and came back to learn that we're not getting 07 at the VNA 'til next year. Bahh. I kinda dug it!!) and I was thinking how inconveniently timed it was that I would be beseiged by a mighty flatulence just when I'm going up to the big house for a class. I don't know why I was compelled to post that but I was. Also,I discovered ...around midday today...a big tear in the crotch seam of my pants. I guess it's a good thing I don't sit about all splay-legged . These things always strike me as inexplicably newsworthy. But it's not something I really want to publicize on FB (I will however, broadcast my love for the McSkillet B. I love McSkillet Burritos and I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT!!) I know that putting it on the blog is publicizing it in a way, but that's going out to a controlled group of friends and total strangers and somehow I'm fine with that. But it's when unflattering info leaks to the ranks of friends of friends, & acquaintances, & people you might run into at Price Chopper that the embarrassment kicks in. Does that make any sense? It might not.. 'cause I don't always make sense.

3 comments:

Paula said...

FB has privacy settings. Don't be friends with people you don't want to read that.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the egg McMuffin w/ cheese, hash browns & can't forget the oj.

Please do not stop writing in your blog. I check your blog everyday because you always write something that makes me laugh.

-Tracy in Wisconsin

Sandra said...

Thanks Tracy!! You're too kind. Have a magnifico weekend!!