Tuesday, July 31, 2007

I heat up. I CAN'T COOL DOWN...

. . .. when I hear "Abracadabra". I know many music snobs consider it The Steve Miller Band's weakest song (a "sell out" song). But I LOOOVE it. It came on Accuradio this afternoon and I had to replay it 4 times to sufficiently get my fix.



Perhaps I just have an affinity for "sell out " songs. I love KISS 's foray into disco "I Was Made For Lovin' You" a song which is none too popular amongst the legions of the KISS army. On the other hand, I DETEST the song "Oh What A Night" and I happen to consider that a huge sell out for Frankie Valli & co. Well, I guess the original 1975 version wouldn't irk me too badly if it weren't for the utterly insipid 1994 remix (which sounds to me like they played the song over a backbeat from a circa 1986 Casio toy keyboard ) that remix makes me just hate the song in any incarnation. And I otherwise adore Frankie Valli & the Four Seasons ("Who Loves You?" being their absolute best in my estimation..with "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" as a close 2nd & "Sherry" rounding out the top 3)
So maybe I like all forays into disco in general (and not just "sell out" songs) For instance "Shakedown Street" is my #1 favorite Grateful Dead song (remind me to download that one by the way). I love me some disco anyways. I don't why the whole genre is so sneered at. Disco is the Rodney Dangerfield of popular music. In fact, if Dangerfield had timed his foray into pop music just 4 or 5 yrs earlier then he could have had a very apropos disco single.

1 comment:

Kara said...

At least that crappy remake wasn't your prom theme...