Tuesday, July 03, 2007

once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart...

The other night, on my way home from work, Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" came on the radio. And it happened to come on at the point in the commute where I'm driving slllllooowwwly through town (abiding by the 25mph speed limit, y'know. I sure as hell cannot afford a speeding ticket!!) but I had to sing along (and give that sing-along my ALL) nonetheless. That song is just too fun to belt out. Of course, I have no delusions that I sing well . I suppose my "Turn around, bright eyes!" parts were serviceable but I totally butchered the whole rest of the song.

As I was singing, I was thinking of this impending show The Singing Bee. I don't think I can bring myself to watch that. I have this problem of hyper-empathy when I watch tv... I can't watch people embarrass themselves. Oh, I can watch all manner of gore and violence, but when someone ever so slightly makes an ass out of themselves, I cringe and change channels. Like the prelim try-outs on American Idol ( all the lousy singers who think they're talented) I just can't watch that. Well, actually, I don't watch Idol at all, but I find the train wreck try-outs EXTRA offputting. But those episodes have proven to be a BIG draw w/ US viewers...so apparently there is a large contingent of TV viewers out there whose attitude is totally contrary to mine (crazy..but it's true!)

No comments: