Friday, July 06, 2007

now residing in my purse...

The other night, when out shopping, my sister bought me one of these. This company totally undersells their product by calling it a "spork". A spork = FORK + SPOON. But what of the cutting edge on this utensil?? We totally overlooking that?? Why not name it a sporkive or a knispork?? Too silly?? But it would at least acknowledge all functions of the thing. I would've called it a RUNCIBLE SPOON. A popular explanation of what a "runcible spoon" is claims it's a sort of a small spork of yore with a cutting edge on it. Popular or no, said explanation seems to have been totally pulled outta someone's arse, since other works of Edward Lears' mention "a runcible goose" "a runcible hat" a "runcible wall", consequently it seems that the word "runcible" is just some nonsense gobbledygook that Lear pulled outta his arse. Apparently, Lewis Carroll doesn't have a monopoly on that trick. Still, I woulda named this a runcible spoon, rather than the much less whimsical "SPORK"



But anyhow...the copy on the packaging states (and I quote..AHEM...) "The Spork is perfect for your backpack, boat, picnic basket, lunchbox, purse or briefcase". So, being rather susceptible to suggestion, I've been carrying the thang in my (already chockablock) purse. In this regard at least, I'm showing a bit of that perpetual readyness that being in Girl Scouts instilled in me. No matter what comestable I encounter, be it steak or pudding, ham or Spaghetti-Os, I am prepared to annihilate it. Super.

No comments: