Monday, July 23, 2007

Stranded at the drive-in....branded a fooooool

I cleaned out my car on Sat afternoon-- a looooong overdue chore. I did a total half-ass job of it, crammed the trunk to capacity, didn't vacuum, but that said, my car is still in 100X better shape than it was.
I had to take it easy, laboring on a Saturday. It's rather a foreign practice to me, and coulda been a tremendous shock to my system had I not paced myself so carefully. I would clean out 1/4 of the car, then read 2 chapters of The Gun Seller , clean out another 1/4 of the car , have a beer and read another chapter...you see the pattern. Though I went about it pretty damn leisurely-like, I did finish up.

So I was so pleased with my work that I decided to go out on a congratulatory date, just my tidy Taurus and me. So we went to the drive-in, my car and I. Ok, if you want the absolute truth, I had been wanting to go to the drive-in already, but wound up unable to russle up anybody to go with. So I am a smidge peeved at my local pool of friends re: their lackadaisacalness to cater to my whims. I mean, it should be of such tremendous importance to them to make ME happy that I should just straight propose the plan and--BLAMMO-- they're on board. I shouldn't have to do any cajoling, knowwhatimeanvern? This failure might also be contributed to bad karma I racked up this weekend. No, I didn't do anything NAUGHTY.....rather, 'tis something I didn't do. Come to think of it, that's how I rack up ALL my bad karma. Pisser, that. Anyways, my sin was skipping my great Aunt Rose's 90th b-day that afternoon. It was way down in Framingham, MA and Friday evening I was feeling ucky and crampish and I made a snap decision and told my Dad that if he didn't need me to go then I was gonna pass. And when I do, on occasion, make an actual decision, I like to stick with 'em, and so I did NOT go on Saturday. Which was pretty crummy & selfish of me, 'cause you only get one 90th b-day (if you're lucky) and 90 is a BIG DEAL and I really have got to pick up a b-day card to mail her.

Anyways, serves me right that I couldn't round up any pals to hit the drive-in on Sat night. And I almost didn't go. But then I reflected. . . . the real pathetic people are those that DON'T go to the drive-in alone, who refrain from doing what they had their little heart set on, simply because it would require "flying solo". We ("we"=society...the societal "we") are more apt to scorn people all alone at the drive-in because (for obvious reasons) it can be tricky to spot the people who chickened out of attending. So anyways-- I went. And nobody scorned me (that I could tell). And I actually had a good time. Quit your sniggering--- I did!! The first feature was Evan Almighty, followed by Knocked Up. Both were very good. Seth Rogen is just as adorable as one suspects he might be. In fact, I think it would behoove Katherine Heigl to dump her real-life fiance for Seth Rogen and make real-life babies with him. I mean, I've seen pictures of her & said fiance and they just don't have the Awwww factor that she & Seth do. And he (the fiance) is some musician guy--they met shooting his music video (bleccch! Sooo NOT a "meet-cute"). So, yeeaah, just a suggestion...seemed to have worked out well for Brangelina, right???

You know what I love about the drive-in? EVERYTHING. Ok, but I especially love the intermission cartoon. The drive-in I go to plays this one----


And I was delighted, this past weekend, to learn that others appreciate this ol' gem as much as I do. Y'see there's this part --twice in the cartoon, actually-- where a hot dog bun has got a hot dog doing flips on a pedestal (like a trained circus DOG--get it? See, the whole cartoon has this circus motif...just watch it NOW if you've not already, 'kay??) and then at the end of the "act" the bun does odd torso spread-apart and the doggie obligingly jumps in. I dig the whole cartoon (sucker for all things retro that I am) but that part in particular always gave me a sort of sophomoric chortle. Saturday night during intermission, a slew of cars honked their horns and all these moviegoers started hooting and cat-calling when the dog-bun union transpired. I thought it was just yours truly that liked that part!! So I was amused and also... sort of validated, I guess.

And Sunday was just a big consumerist orgy-porgy. Not too eventful. Although perhaps, if I'm lacking for crap to write about tomorrow, I will itemize my purchases. Ta-ta till then, all....

1 comment:

Kara said...

God I love the drive in.. I haven't made it there yet this summer though. Perhaps I'll suck it up and go on my own. Funny how I have no qualms about going to the regular movies on my own, but I feel differently about the drive in. Maybe it's because I can guarantee my drive in's intermission cartoon isn't half as cool as yours. Perhaps we should visit each other so we wouldn't have to drive in alone!