Friday, July 27, 2007

fuzzy far-off distant memories

Robin was just remarking about some caller she had....name was Jaimie pronounced HIMEY. It made me chortle. I vaaaaaguely recall, back in grade school, we watched some documentary (on vid, it was not a filmstrip, though we did watch some of those) about a teacher--I think specifically a MATH teacher--and he had the name Jaimie (pronounced that same way) And it back then the name just amused me to no end. Well, presumably to no end, because it still amuses me at present. Let us just say that I see no end, in the immediate future, to my being amused by Jaimie prononunced HIMEY (you gotta put your throat into that H sound though). I shall be amused indefinitely.

When I try to think of this teacher that may or may not have ever existed (it's one of those memories so fuzzy it seems I mighta dreamed it--though why on Earth would I ever dream about a documentary on a math teacher??) the last name "Esperanto" springs to mind. But I know that's not his last name, it couldn't be his last name , Esperanto is a made up language, dreamt up in a fog of pot smoke in 1887 by some yahoo named Ludwik Zamenhoff. Ok , I don't know much about Esperanto (isn't that a line in some old song?? Hmm?) so I shouldn't knock it. As I often preach-- don't knock it 'til ya try it. I bet you ol' Zamenhoff would be down with that. And it would be cool to learn Esperanto, I mean I could think of 50 or so languages that would be more useful to know, but yeah Esperanto would be cool. I think I'm just going to add that to my resume "fluent in Esperanto". Because it may impress & intrigue potential employers and what are the chances any of them are gonna be truly fluent in Esperanto (& thereby able to uncover my lie)?? Yep, definitely adding that on there. And if a job interviewer says "Oh really?? Say something in Esperanto!!" I intend to just bust out my Jodi Foster as Nell impersonation.

Anyways, probably HIMEY'S last name sounds kinda like the word "Esperanto". I will probably never know...

No comments: