Monday, July 30, 2007

Defenestration


I thought for sure I'd posted before on how much I adore the word Defenestration. But, I searched my blog and that word is nowhere to be found. I know that I've jabbered on about it before (musta been aloud...to any officemates who'd listen to me. )
Anyways my prior omission of this word was a giant oversight. I love DEFENESTRATION. I shall leave the defining to Merriam Webster. . .



It's really definition #1 that I'm smitten with. I love that there's a word--and such a formal-sounding word-- for throwing something/body out the window. If someone were to really frustrate you, you could simply say "Uuuugh, I could just DEFENESTRATE that bastard!" and those listeners clever enough to have the 411 on defenestration will know just what you mean, and even better, to those who have never heard the word it sounds HARSH, and kinda implies all the nasty means of retribution you would've come up with...were you not so frustrated in the 1st place.


In Europe , it seems that defenestration is not only "a throwing of a person or a thing out a window" but it also seems to be an established form of political protest. I had read before about The Defenestrations of Prague and then today, when reviewing my July 30th famous b-days & historical events I read that July 30 ,1419 was the date of the First Defenestration of Prague (hence this post).


No comments: