Tuesday, July 03, 2007

interstate critters...

Saturday I was zipping up I-91 and I was startled as I noticed a fluffy white tailed ass trouncing through the tall grass of the median at my left. The good news is that this fluffy white tailed ass was attached to a deer. I mean, if I had just seen some floating, disembodied ass on the side of the road, probably my startlement would have grown into confusion, and fear and my careening into a guard rail or something. But the bad news is...that fluffy white tailed ass belonged to a deer...and if that or any deer decided to leave off its leisurely median grazing and traipse across the road..and commence its traipsing at just the right moment..then...BLAMMMO! There would be no avoiding my mowing the crazy bastard down. I've collided with a deer in the past, it was on Rt5 , not the interstate. I did all sorts of swerving and braking and I still hit the f*cker. But y'know, if I'd been on the interstate, if I'd have had much less response time (travelling at my usual 67-70 mph) to even try any evasive maneuvers and even if I did have the chance to brake and /or swerve, it would've likely caused a pile-up.
So that freaked me out a bit. I even took the long way home (avoiding the interstate) later that afternoon.

Today I saw a woodchuck on the hill beside the Exit 9 exit ramp. This charmed rather than alarmed me. I know woodchucks are not stupid or spazzy enough to bolt in front of a moving vehicle. I stuck my arm out the window and pointed at it emphatically, in the hopes that the dude in the pickup who took Exit 9 after me would take note of Mr Woodchuck and be likewise delighted.

No comments: