Friday, November 24, 2006

Turkey in the straw--HA HA HA!

HAPPY DAY-AFTER-THANKSGIVIN' PILGRIMS!! Hope you stuffed your maws like crrrazy yesterday!! I know I sure did .
It's stupid how they make such a big fat deal out of Thanksgiving Day football. Yaaaaaawn. In my view, it's the parade that's the must-see Turkey Day TV. I should say the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, but apparently you can only claim to have watched that if you'd tuned in on NBC. Over on CBS, I believe it's called the All American Thanksgiving Day Parade. Y'know, that used to mess me up as a kid...I thought there were 2 different parades going on. It's been that way since forever-- Macy's does not permit CBS to say its name. Must be some bad blood there. I wonder what went down. It's got to be some rights ownership thing. But don't such deals come up for renewal after so many years? Like NFL games for instance-- haven't they switched networks a few times??

Anyways I watched the WHOLE parade this year, and that pleased me immensely(usually I only catch part of it). I started out toggling between NBC & CBS but then my toggling finger got tuckered out and I parked it on CBS. Mostly because CBS's "man-on-the-street" correspondent doing crowd interviews was Neil Patrick Harris. I found him to be quite witty and charming in that capacity. I'm all for him hosting the Oscars (although I'm sure he's not big-name enough for that gig) that's how dazzled I was by his correspondent skills. I'm thinking I actually like him more now that he's been outed. I've long wanted a gay amigo in my posse (as I've said before). I think, in my head, I've cast Neil Patrick Harris as my pretend gay best friend. Until I get me a real one. That could be a while though, as acquiring a laptop takes priority over snagging a gay guypal.
There's 3 of us in the office today and bidness is slower than a comatose snail. I know most people don't work on the day after Thanksgiving, and most of the company is closed down, but the thought is that not all of our customers are closed today, so we need to have some customer service & technical support personnel in today. So you have to volunteer to work on a day that, officially, we're closed. Same thing with the day after Christmas. So I'm usually pretty eager to take the day after Thanksgiving because then I feel I've got a valid excuse to not volunteer for Boxing Day duties. Anyways, I can't believe I'm getting paid extra to be here today. If any of our customers are open today, then they must be taking a prolonged tryptophan-induced siesta. I've sent out 2 faxes today, fielded 1 call and I watched an entire episode of Grey's Anatomy (on ABC's website). I don't mind a slow day but this is RIDICULOUS. Methinks I'll do some 'net Christmas shopping later.
The other day I wanted to recommend a movie, but my cinematic blathering got all taken up by weak-ass tribute to Robert Altman. Monday night I caught "The Shop Around the Corner" on TCM. I'd already seen it (I own it), but this recent viewing reminded me what a good flick it is. If you're not B&W movie-phobic, then I recommend renting it. Is it weird for me to be crushing on circa 1940 Jimmy Stewart?? Probably a little, but it's not like I'm writing him fan mail or anything...

1 comment:

Kara said...

I don't know if you've ever seen "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" but I think it will satisfy your love of NPH... his part in the movie is even more entertaining now that he's come out of the closet!