Wednesday, November 08, 2006

quickie lunch blog

Let's see if I can manage to crank one out quickly...I just got back from a walk to Shaw's where I procured a quart of Pellegrino and a bowl of Portugese Kale soup for lunch. It's shameful... I'm surprised the building didn't collapse upon my approach...what with all the huffing & puffing I was doing. Well, I did kinda speed walk. But still...daaaamn.

I was taking a bit of a risk with the Portugese Kale soup as I'd never before tried it... but it's good. It's got kale, onions, celery, kidney beans, carrots, potato, and cubed up sausage or kelbasa. I don't know what sort of meat it is, honestly. It tastes alright, but I don't like to look at it. It's pretty nasty looking there on my spoon so I shove it hastily into my mouthhole without further perusal. So, I probably will NOT figure out what meat is afloat in this soup, unless I think to reserve a nugget to seal up in a business envelope and then send it off to the lab for testing.... wait, I've already used up my lab budget for the month...it seems the world will never know.

I was watching some vids on VH1 Classics the other night (enjoying the hell out of it now before Adelphia cruelly yanks it from moi) and I caught "I Wanna Be a Cowboy" by Boys Don't Cry. I was absolutely over the f-ing MOON!! I've always loved that song...(if they'd followed up with Baltimora's "Tarzan Boy" I would've wet myself. But alas, that was not meant to be) and its singer has always intrigued me with his delivery of the titular line. He sounds like he really truly DOES want to be a cowboy, and also he sounds a bit angry about it. I think that his present inability to be a cowboy infuriates him. Furthermore, he is ever mindful of time constraints on realizing his dream--as evidenced by the oddly fatalistic last line of the song. "My name is Ted. And one day...I'll be dead". See, at first glance it seems like a frothy one hit wonder, but this is THESIS PAPER FODDER, baby. And that's why I enjoy "I Wanna Be A Cowboy". Because, I'm like, deep and stuff. (Coming soon: my lecture series on Human League's "Don't You Want Me?"...)

Of course, I was not so wrapped up in retro video goodness that I missed Nip/Tuck (never!!) I hope Julia's confession means that she and Marlowe are NOT going to have an encore in the sack. Maybe it is wicked and closed minded of me, but when those two hit the sheets I had to use the protective grid of my fingers to look at the screen (that's like how I have to watch the N/T surgery scenes). And I found myself chanting "Ew ew ewww ew ew ew ewww!" against my will. Also, who woulda pegged Escobar for being such a font of sage advice? It was indeed good timing for Sean to come clean about his own little nanny faux pas. Well, ideally he would've confessed right after Julia did (while he had the Mrs writhing up against the wall --that woulda been an ideal moment right there) But I suppose he chose the second most opportune moment... how convenient to be able to follow up a bombshell like that with "Oh, and some guy got shot in our den"

Time for me to jet my pets... ciao!

No comments: