Tuesday, November 21, 2006

R.I.P. Robert Altman



Just read that Robert Altman died yesterday. In doing some imdb background checking, I discovered that though he's had quite a few Oscar nominations, last year's Lifetime Achievement Oscar (I think the official Academy terminology would be "Honorary Oscar" but whatev) was his first and only win. I hope that didn't have anything to do with it. I mean, an Honorary Oscar seems like a fine achievement and generally I think any recipient would welcome it, but, psychologically...I see how it could be perceived as a jinx. Or seen as sort of the yanking away of the proverbial carrot, knowwhatimean Vern?

Didn't he say something during his Oscar acceptance speech about having a heart transplant?? I swear I recall a mention of a heart transplant in there somewhere.

Anyways, I enjoy a lot of Altman films...I own McCabe & Mrs Miller/ Nashville/ The Long Goodbye/Popeye/&Gosford Park and have rented (and really liked) 3 Women (1977).

Here follows my praise for my three faves---

1. Gosford Park-- I have friends that have denounced this an utter snooze but I just loved it. I mean, to begin with, a turn-of-the-century (20th) British manor setting-- that is sooo my milieu. You had me at British!! It really honed in on the lifestyle & mindset of the "below stairs" folk and was the first cinematic exploration of that (that I had seen)

But now the big bonuses...it had Kelly McDonald in it, and I haven't seen her in too much of anything, but she is so lovely in a really refreshingly nonconventional way. It's the only movie I've seen her in where she gets to be free w/ her native Scottish brogue. Scottish accents kick arse.

But most importantly, this film--God love it-- was the one that first brought to my attention what a magnificent piece of eye candy Clive Owen is. I just adore him. Whenever I play MASH he is guaranteed a slot on my 5 Boys List. (that wasn't meant to be a tie-in to the Altman themed post...just a crrrrazy cosmic coincidence, that)

2. Popeye-- I really love this movie. It was like a live action comic musical, and, incidentally one of the first movies I ever recall seeing as a wee tot. We went to the drive in to see it, and brought plums from home rather than patronize the skanky snack bar and the only part I remember from my first ever showing of it is one the early scenes--I think it was the opening scene ( probably I dozed off shortly after...I was only 3, after all) where Popeye is rowing in a fierce storm.

Anyways, I've since added Popeye to my DVD library and I've seen it many times. I know it's trite and oversaid to enthuse "(insert actor's name here) was BORN to play this role!!" but I just gotta say it-- "Shelly Duvall was BORN to play Olive Oyl!!" If I didn't happen to know that the comic strip "Popeye" predated Shelly Duvall by 20 yrs than I woulda presumed she was the inspiration for Olive Oyl. Which is, of course, another way of saying she was born to play the role. Me being redundant. On to the next bullet point...

I loved, loved, loved Popeye in this movie-- from his scrinched-up face to his freakshow forearms. I own a pair of Popeye jammie pants and it may be my appreciation for Robin Williams' portrayal of Popeye that compelled me to buy said jammie pants. I got so worn down typing that ginormous sentence (probably a run-on sentence) that I nearly typed "Robbie Williams' portrayal of Popeye"....now THAT would be an oddball alternate universe. His portrayal would probably be horrific skin-ripped-off Sailor Man who loves spinach. Ohmigod, I don't remember what song that was, but did you ever see that video?? It was a perfectly normal (if a little dull) video for a fairly mundane song until--BWWWARGH!--there's Robbie sans skin. It was one of those monumentally traumatizing music videos like Metallica's "One" or NIN "Closer". Sorry...overcome by a bit of a tangent there...

Anyways, I'm not much of a Robin Williams fan, and not prone to uniformly praise everything he does (actually the opposite is probably true...RW is a smidge too manic for my liking) but he was a terrific Popeye. Popeye, in this movie, is probably one of my top movie dads. #1 is most definitely Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch, but Popeye is high up on the list. Maybe I will type the whole list out for my Father's Day post. Remind me, okay??

3. The Long Goodbye-- Really good dialogue in this movie. I love Elliot Gould's character--just dripping with a very low key sarcasm (so, in other words, very relateable- from my perspective) OK, so I'd like to expound upon the virtues of this movie but, no can do. I'm just SPENT , kiddies. Aside from being possessed by nasty tangent demons, I also tried (unsuccessfully) like a thousand times to post a Popeye picture. Grrr.

More tomorrow...

No comments: