Tuesday, November 07, 2006

the Boss and applesauce (cake)

This past weekend I went to Burlington-- on a holiday shopping mission this time, not a bar hopping expedition. And I spent with wild abandon...oy!! The fact that it was mostly gift purchases somewhat assuages my guilt but I still do feel a bit bad (yep, being broke feels bad). My immediate fam's birthdays are unfortunately scheduled too-- Chloe turns 9 on Nov 29, Sadie will be 4 on Dec 19, Greg's b-day is Jan 5, my Dad on Jan6, Seth will be 7 on Jan 31, and then my sister's b-day is on Feb 5. This means that I tend to buy double for all of those people (except for my sis) and then divide their loot in 2: birthday loot & Christmas loot. Which is all fine and good for them, but a bit ouchy to my wallet. I tried to convince my sister (I made a good argument I think) that now is the time to just decide to change Sadie's birthday. We don't have any immediate family with a summer birthday. Wouldn't something in early June be nice? She could have pool parties or barbecues!! And she'd never remember that from age 1 until 4 (I thought we could leave her 2006 birthday as is) she had a December birthday. I don't think Laura was going for it...

Anyways I spent so much money that even if it wasn't all TOP SECRET CHRISTMAS LOOT , I would not itemize my purchases here (as I've been known to do). I just...I...I feel dirrrrty.

Y'know what else makes me feel dirty...Bruce Springsteen circa 1985. Ok, well, not really dirty. But I was watching VH1 classics last night (if I get that on my free preview channel for another week I will be mucho mucho stoked-0) and his great "Dancin' in the Dark" video came on. Hey, crude aside here, if David Arquette ever amuses himself w/ hot lesbian fantasies about the Mrs, then he's probably got a well worn copy of this video. How butch does Courtney look here? Zoinks!

Anyways it struck me that I have not given Brucie ample credit for his past handsomeness. Ok, not that he's a decrepit pile of shit now, he's held up rather well for 57 yrs old actually, he's simply past the age where he's my cup o' tea. But back in '84 or '85 I woulda let him be the Boss...ok that came out creepy when you do the math (my being 8 in 1985, and all) but we're talkin' time machine or clone scenario here... like maybe the time machine I've been tinkerin' with in my parents' cellar will suddenly get operational and 2006 Sandra will beam herself into the "Dancin' in the Dark " video shoot and disable Courtney Cox with a well-aimed elbow to the face, then take her place. Or Doc Brown will trick out 1985 Springsteen's Chevy pickup with a flux capacitor enabling him to visit 2006. Or 1985 Springsteen had the foresight to freeze some DNA of himself and he's just got around to defrosting the freezer and used that DNA to make a clone of his 21 years ago self.... a BossClone that I will--through some wild and convoluted chain of happenstance--meet at Denny's on some Thursday at 2:30 in the a.m. Ok, the abridged version is: I am not 8 yrs old in whatever hypothetical scenario where I have my fling con el jefe.

It amuses me that I would find the Boss alluring in this video, because in his dance moves I detected a hint of George Michael (not "Faith" era GM, I'm referencing here the Wham years and specifically the leaping and bopping spectacle that was his "Wake Me Up you Go-Go" vid) and a slight dash of The Lord of the Prance ...Mr Billy Squier In short, his dancing is a wee bit... oh, I dunno, fey. Just a bit. I mean, certainly in this regard he is no match for Squier. Yeah Squier even trumps Wham...it's pretty ridiculously redunkulous. I advise clicking the link as it MUST be seen to be believed.


But anyways, back to the Boss.... There is no good reason that I would adore him so. There's only 3 songs of his that I really dig. I think he has some magic Boss mojo that makes him thus. Something innately lovable about the guy, y'know??

My absolute favorite Springsteen song is "I'm On Fire" and I've long been pissed about its exclusion from Springsteen's ubiquitous Greatest Hits CD. Y'know the one. . . .

Anyways, my #1 fave Boss song is not on there at all. That is a HEINOUS oversight. That song is all dark, and I always thought it had a kind of pervy undercurrent to it. What's not to love? And Brucie...it would most definitely provide a counterpoint to the rest of your Heartland rock, salt-of-the-earth type repertoire...y'know show that you have range, eh? Whatev. So I was ruminating about this song today and I actually found the video on Yahoo music and so I enjoyed that while I partook of my cube of Alan's Vending applesauce cake (with raisins). Both were delicious.

Ciao for now dearies....

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Billy Squier is a god. He can't dance for crap, but he's still a god. ;-)

Sandra said...

I'm not sure he's worthy of deity status, but I DO enjoy the man's music.
Oh--and he **can** dance...no question about that. Did you not follow that link to the "Rock Me Tonite" video?? Mr Squier has moves like no other!!