Monday, November 20, 2006

there is a season (turn, turn, turn..)

I find I am very anal about seasonal items being used in the according season. For instance, if it be July, and the li'l muffins request "Arthur's Valentine" as their bedtime story, I will actually try and talk them out of it. Oh, if they whine enough, I will give in...but that reading of "Arthur's Valentine" will lack the sparkle and genuineness that I would give to it between mid January and Feb 28.
The same goes with music...and this is why I was contemplating this... stuff played on the radio today that kinda ruffled my feathers. First off, on the way in to work I heard The Beach Boys. I no wanna hear The Beach Boys in November!! The offending song was "California Girls", which doesn't quite reference summer exactly or summer activities (as many Beach Boys songs are wont to) but The Beach Boys are an aptly named crew, the boys just have sunshine in their larynxes, I guess. Even when they sing "Little Saint Nick" I think summer. My fave Beach Boys tune, by the way (veering slightly off topic, only because I knew you were dying to know!) well, I like their slower, non-surfy stuff, I think numero uno would be "God Only Knows" with "Don't Worry Baby" as a close second and a very special honorable mention to "Poppa OOoo Mow-mow" because that is some kooky-hilarious shit right there. And then during lunch I heard The Cure's "Friday I'm in Love" and that irked me as well. Even though I adore the Cure and love that song, that was NOT kosher by me. Friday happens to be my favorite day of the week, and I don't need a song rubbing it in my face how it is NOT Friday, and on vile, ucky Monday, of all days. Conversely, it would displease me to hear "Manic Monday" Tues-Sun.


I bought this lip gloss at Bath & Bodyworks that has these natural lip plumping elements in it. I'm starting to see these lip plumping lip glosses all over the place (I have a few already--Sally Hansen, Bonnie Belle... yeah, yeah, I know, real high end stuff) lately. It's odd how they suddenly cropped up -- because it's not new technology, Lip Venom has been out for aaaaages and that's the same deal (it's the original in that whole makeup genre, actually) but for aaaages, it was just Lip Venom for your cheapie drugstore faux collagen injex needs, but now these lip plumping glosses are everywhere...so maybe Lip Venom had had legal rights to the recipe...a patent that just expired or something. Anyways... the stuff they sell at Bath & Bodyworks does a pretty good job, I must attest. I don't quite have those Angelina Jolie futon lips, but the smoocher is noticeably fuller. And poutier. But that could just be me pouting. I'm never very smiley on Mondays, y'know. The name of the color I bought is "Spiced Apple Rapture". I think "rapture" is a bit over the top...after all, it doesn't make me moan or shudder when I apply, or anything like that.

1 comment:

Kara said...

God Only Knows is by far, my favorite Beach Boys song. It's even one of the ringers on my cell phone. My love for that song stems from my adoration of the film, Love Actually, but I give you credit for mentioning "Don't Worry Baby," also.. I'm almost willing to forget your Michael Richardsesque tirade regarding brown sugar and cinnamon pop tarts.