Tuesday, November 28, 2006

hair accessories, crap on TV, junk from el radio

It's a mixed bag of trivialities today, sports fans....

HAIR ACCESSORIES-- Not going to riff on hair accessories in general. (though in one of my listier moods, I SOOO could...ranking the good [decorative hair combs] the horrible [scrunchies..ewww] and the vastly underrated [the banana clip]) I'm particularly referring to the headband I rocked yesterday. Ooooh but it was not all fabulosity and looking fabulous. I think that f-er left dents in my skull despite the fact that I'm pretty sure my skull stopped being malleable when I turned 1 or 2. It appeared to be a headband, but it very well could've been an adamantium vise swathed in crimson velvet. (I'll save you looking it up in a nerdcyclopedia--adamantium is the super strong metal that Wolverine's skeleton is made of)
But the unfortunate fact is that if you have silky/fine hair like mine, you need a wide band with a lot of tension if you are going to properly don a headband, due to the fact you've got no traction whatsoever on la cabeza.
Anyways, mi amiga Robin accused me of being VAIN (can you believe her??) for keeping the thing on. To be fair, she had endured about 8 hrs of me whining that my headband was ouchy on my skull, so that may be why she maligned me so harshly (and unjustly). I was suffering for fashion, yes. But out of vanity? I dunno. Vanity seems like such a self-centered attribute. It's not like I have a mirror mounted in my cage/ cubicle and I'm perpetually gazing at myself like a nimrod cockatoo. It's not for my benefit. It's really my ingrate office mates that I hope to delight with my bursts of accessorizing genius. Just selflessly hoping that my fashionable example might --at the very best-- inspire these people, or --at least-- divert them briefly from their workday monotony. No, missy, I am NOT vain, but my thoughtful intentions may be in vain....
You see how I did that? Turned her own wording against--aww yeah you get it. You're very astute like that. NEXT TOPIC!!!

CRAP ON TV-- I've been wanting to catch an episode of Heroes. I had intended to watch it last week but I had a game of UNO run into OT so I woulda missed the beginning. And I don't like watching a show or a movie if I can't catch it in its absolute entirety (ab ovo , I like to say, because throwing Latin into everyday conversation is delightfully pretentious) so I skipped last week's eppy. Which was too bad, because that's when they saved the cheerleader (and saved the world). I mean , I was kind of intrigued by the show initially, but I think it was that catchphrase that really reeled me in. All of a sudden, I was hearing it 50 times a day, like some kinda g.d. mantra or something. "Save the cheerleader--save the world!!" I found it thought provoking...it seems like a pretty clear-cut directive. Yet if it was demanded of me I'd have to mull it over a bit..."Hmmm yeah.. I do like the world and all. Am rather inclined to save it if it's in need of saving but...then...gee, on the other hand... do we really need a world with another cheerleader in it?" It's quite a conundrum.

Anyways, I did finally get to watch last night. I enjoyed it, but was pretty disappointed, 'cause I feel like I caught the one episode for this season that does not catch you up to speed on the storyline at all. And I needed to catch an episode that was furthering the plot so I could kinda jump in midstream and get up to speed if you get what I mean. (While physically I am barely a doggypaddler, in a mental swim, I can catch up to the best of 'em) Anyways, what I really need is a Heroes marathon..that would be a HUGE help. And y'know NBC owns BRAVO which is a queen of marathons. So why no marathons on the mother-station? That's a pisser, maaaan!

Over on the "eye network" I saw a few promos for the season premiere of "The King of Queens". Not the season premiere of syndicated reruns, mind you, a new season of actual new episodes. Those are not excitement italics, kittens, those are italics of utter bewilderment. Sooo, King of Queens was *NOT* cancelled 2 years ago...huh...I shall file that in Monday's "Ya Learn Somethin' New Everydamnday" file. I feel one ought to abide by the wise old adage--" always leave them wanting more". Like, for instance, Friends fans (not that I was ever one of that contingent) were always wanting more and had to be pretty much weened off that show. And Seinfeld ended its run with like 500 more excellent episodes within their capabilities. That's why these shows went out in a blaze of glory. And had series finales that were bigfat deals that raked in the beaucoup ratings. Now "The King of Queens" which--I don't know if you knew this or not, is still on the air-- is going to have one of those embarrassing unobserved under-the-porch deaths like "Coach" and "Wings" did. It will run until 2010 or so and no one will know that it's cancelled except the elite few invited to the intimate cast pizza party and then Kevin James will go on to other comedy supporting roles (hopefully ones that allow for a bit of his hilarious brand of awkward white-guy dancing) and Leah Remini will probably have to revive her career by borrowing a ploy from the Celeb Scientologists' "Holy-sh*t-what-a-freaking-nutjob" Bag o' Tricks. Incidentally, it's hard for me to believe that Leah Remini is a Scientologist. She seems so down-to- earthy ...like she's from the old neighborhood (I don't know where, in precise geographical terms, the "old neighborhood " is .. somewhereabouts in NY or NJ) Oh! You know what she seems like? She seems like someone Mrs Rosini would try to set Tony up with (and in that hypothetic scenario, I happen to know the "old neighborhood" would be Brooklyn). Well, I don't KNOW Leah Remini, of course, but she just doesn't strike me as the Scientology type. Scientology seems more appropriate for flaky West Coast types.

RADIO MISCELLANY-- Not having gotten around to getting my CD player installed in my car has made me a great patron of the radio. I heard some good dance songs this weekend. I know that many music fans are critical of dance/ electronic music. Y'know those snobby music snobs that dismiss music sans actual instruments as "soul-less". To that I say "BOLLOCKS" "Sandstorm" (by Darude--heard this on Sunday night) is one of the most moving songs I know. It doesn't like move me to tears or anything stupid like that, but I hear the song and am instantly transported-- not sure where, 'cause it's dark (and I'm probably wacky on the junk, y'know) there are strobe lights.....vast multitudes...a lot of the crowd brandishing glowsticks...hopping...there's hopping...we're all hopping in time.

WOAH.... just typing about the song and I get a smidgeon transported. Very evocative stuff. I also heard Gigi D'Agostino's "I'll Fly With You" which I enjoy a lot but it doesn't send me on any head trips.

Also heard a radio advert for the SLINKY on Sunday a.m. Is this in need of advertising? For real?? Is there a whole new, up & coming generation that is not at all familiar with the Slinky phenomenon?? Craaaazy!

And speaking of Sunday morning radio, why is lameass Ryan Seacrest ALWAYS filling in for Casey Kasem lately?? Is there something really wrong with Casey or is he just out with a case of being old?? Whatever it is, I want him to recover ASAP because I love Casey!! And listening to Rick Dees is NOT an option (I don't CARE if he did give the world Disco Duck, that guy is crap personified)

1 comment:

Kara said...

I think the Sci Fi channel is showing the first six episodes of Heroes tonight, starting at 6. It's a great show.. you really should get into it, regardless of the cheerleader, who's kinda likeable!