Monday, November 27, 2006

what to read, what to read...

Because I never feel a book purchase is money ill spent, I don't really get any spending guilt from a bookstore shopping spree. Hence my being the Borders Rewards Club Rookie of the Year 2006. Hence me amassing books faster than I can read 'em. Hence my having a books -to- read queue...
Why am I posting my queue? Well, the short answer is--slow news day in my 'hood. But why post the B-T-R Queue and not a recipe or a poem or again blather on about a celeb birthday (old standby ploy of mine). Well my motivation ( aside from
Kara stealing my celeb b-day du jour from me..happy 30th, anyway, Urkel!!) was that maybe some kindhearted & well-read soul might want to help me prioritize. I listed the queue books in no particular order, but if anybody out there has read one of these, and highly recommends it, I will bump it up to the top of the queue. Likewise, if someone has read one or more of these titles and found them to be somewhat lacking/disappointing/ an abominable heap of dung, then I will defer to that someone's judgement and boot the book to the bottom o' the queue. In this fashion, I could prioritize the queue. I know it seems lazily redundant of me to keep saying "queue" and not seek out a synonym, but I assure you it's entirely deliberate because I adore the word "queue".
Anyways... my QUEUE...in no particular order....

Books to read Queue

1.Song of Solomon (Toni Morrison)
2. Tully (Paulina Simmons)
3.Cold Mountain (Charles Frazier)
4.The Sunlight Dialogues (John Gardner)
5.The Jewel of 7 Stars (Bram Stoker)
6. The Curious Incident of the Dog at Nighttime(Mark Haddon)
7.Resistance (Anita Shreve)
8.The Lady & The Unicorn (Tracy Chevalier)
9.Frankenstein;Pt.1 (Dean Koontz)
10.Sense & Sensibility (Jane Austen)
11.Silas Marner (George Eliot)
12.I am Charlotte Simmons (Tom Wolffe)
13.Vilette (Charlotte Bronte)
14. Frankenstein (Mary Shelley)
15. Ivanhoe (Sir Walter Scott)
16. To The Lighthouse (Virginia Woolf)
17. The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco)
18. Big Stone Gap (Adriana Trigiani)
19.Masque of the Black Tulip (Lauren Willig)
20. Women In Love (DH Lawrence)

Now, this is not counting 3 or 4 books (that I can't recall the names of) that I have gotten as gifts and not yet read. I also am excluding another mental book list of books that I have started to read and abandoned because I just couldn't muddle through 'em. There's a few of those, unfortunately. Maaan, I always feel like a big fat reading failure when I quit a book part way through it. Which is sorta why I want to prioritize the above queue. If you guys help me keep the stinkers away from the top of the list, they're more apt to languish on the B-T-R Queue than to wind up on the awful "Abandoned Books to Oneday Revisit List". I feel a teeny twinge of guilt about items languishing in queue, but have much more guilt about the AB List.

So in summation, any prioritizing aid is much appreciated, amigos.

Speaking of reading, I am currently 3/4 of the way through "
Misfortune" by Wesley Stace, which I do recommend. Maybe not NUMERO UNO in your queue but you should put in your top 7 (top 5 seemed too urgent, top 10..not quite praiseworthy enough).

1 comment:

Kara said...

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is pretty good.. short.. so god knows it'll take you all of a day or a lunch hour! I am Charlotte Simmons is interesting.. it's the first Tom Wolfe book I've ever read. As you know, it's pretty long and while it didn't get great reviews, I found it to be an interesting take on college from a man way past that time in his life. Give them both a shot!