Friday, March 28, 2008

Reading habits of yore

As a young pup, I was not one to pick up a Sweet Valley High book. I remember them being ridiculously popular but..nope, I never read a one. I didn't read the Babysitter's Club books or anything like that either. But what I was MAJORLY into was Christoper Pike books. From 5th grade through..I dunno, probably 10th grade, I voraciously devoured every Pike book I could git my mitts on.

For some odd reason tonight...I am wanting to know where the hell all my Christopher Pike books are. I wish to reread 'em. Maybe not ALL of them...but several. I sense that I'drecall by looking at the covers, which ones I liked the best. Y'know, I'm sure they're *somewhere* @ the parental casa. They's maaad packrats. But see, they're apt to be in the attic and I am kinda skittish about perambulating about up there. I have nightmare visions of my falling through the ceiling a'la Clark Griswold in Christmas Vacation (although it wasn't all that nightmarish when he did it)

I found myself browsing through the Pike offerings on Amazon. It would be utter frivolity of me to buy most of these titles. Although I did see a circa 1997 title that I never got (promptly added to my wish list**) Quite the conundrum I gots-- I wanna reread most of these, can't buy them (in good conscience) and would rather not ransack my folks' attic for 'em. This might just move me to get a library card (as I've been meaning to do for, ohhh, about a decade now)

I do NOT like the new covers on the reissues of these novels. I think the covers I had, the oh-so 80's covers with the splashy neon writing, are VASTLY superior. But let us have a look, shall we? And you be the judge...


THE OLD STYLE COVERS--


















SOME NEW STYLE COVERS--












the re-issue covers above are just HORRIBLY tepid. However, there were some re-reissues done by some other artist (below) that I kinda did like. (still prefer the original cover though...but I may be sentimentally biased)




No comments: