Friday, March 07, 2008

NAILED IT, BABY!

Not really.

I wouldn't say I "nailed" the interview, but I was pleased with my performance. It took me a while to--I dunno-- gain my "footing" but once I did, I think I was totally affable.

This Tracy that interviewed me was (thankfully) non-intimidating and seemed very down to earth. I think I totally charmed her. I get the feeling that the only thing that would preclude my snagging this job would be if someone came in who had loads of specific experience. Like I explained, I have a very solid foundation for the position-- am very comfortable on the phones and with people, handy with computers, familiar with all the standard guts of officework...I have never worked in a law office though. It's something that intrigues me, and I am definitely willing to learn, but I don't have experience specific to the field.

I kinda faltered on her first question, which was the ol' fave ( the monstrously broad) "So.Tell me about yourself." Why had I not mentally prepped for that one? That was TOTALLY predictable.



At the end of the interview, I'd grown comfortable enough to joke and I said "You know I was all set for you to ask me what I thought my greatest weakness is. Interviewers ALWAYS ask that. So I'd had something all prepared. I'm so disappointed." And she said "Oh...what would you say is your greatest weakness then?" And I said (pretending to think about it) "I'd saaaay...I'm too ...devastatingly gorgeous. And it makes people automatically underestimate my intellect. So that's been a real burden. " (then after a pause said) "well I think the popular tactic is to talk about an asset and then 'spin it' like it's some kind of weakness. And EVERYBODY says they're a workaholic. So I thought I'd do a new variation on that old trick and came up with the devastatingly gorgeous thing." She laughed at the appropriate juncture, which was a good indication that she realized I was speaking in jest. But yet...she scribbled something down on her legal pad. Now if she's planning on passing that along to the big boss man somethin's apt to get lost in the translation (the gleam in my eye, the irreverence in my tone, etc) and the dude's gonna think I am overly confident in my own aesthethetic merits and/or a certifiable nutjob.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would totally hire you on the basis of your greatest weakness only. I am trying to find someone new to add to my team and that would fit right in. Unlike the lame-ass people I have interviewed thus far.

P