Wednesday, March 12, 2008

he's MEAN ; he's GREEN; his last name is short a "C"

Today in the office we got to (by some circuitous route) be talking about Mr. Yuck. If you've previously taken in any of my interoffice banter, than it shan't shock you to learn that this was not the first time we'd discussed Mr. Yuck.

I have reminisced (aloud, of course) about getting those sheets of Mr Yuck stickers in grade school, and how I used to utterly squander them. I didn't apply 'em to Drano or Windex or any below-the-sink poisons (as was intended). Rather, I would slap Mr Yucks on my Trapper Keeper, the door frame, my desk, my sneakers, etc etc. You get the pic, eh? TOTALLY ineffectual.

Well, me officemates didn't even know what stickers I was talking about. Not only were Mr Yucks NOT distributed in their school, but they never even heard of the guy. This left me compelled to prove his existence (thereby proving that I'm not hallucinating...this one. Hey, I know that I'm more-or-less sane, but at times I suspect that sanity of mine to be..uhh..less than obvious) So anyways, I dredged up Mr. Yuck's wikipedia entry *, his official website, and bestest of all, this awesomely scary PSA...




I discovered, as I was tracking down all this linky goodness, that Mr. Yuck actually, officially spells his name "Mr. Yuk". Sans "c". Notice I have refused to alter my spelling of it. That is a STUPID way to spell "yuck" and I shall NOT comply. In a semi-related vein...I also am vexed when I see "doughnut" spelled "donut" or "night" spelled "nite" and crap like that.

I wonder why the Mr. Yuk creators discarded the "c"?? I hope it was some worthy reason like trademark infringement and not somethin' asinine like too many kiddies were defacing the paraphenalia --y'know replacing the "Y"s with "F"s...hee hee hee..

*the link to the Mr.Y theme song at the end o' that wikipedia write-up is SO worth a click. The song runs on for-freakin'-ever!! It's like the "In-a-Gadd-Da-Vida" of PSA theme songs, but it cracks my shit up, maaan!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to know that I was trying to have this same conversation at work a couple of weeks ago and everyone thought I was crazy talking about Mr. Yuck.

P