Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Extry! Extry!!

I gots news to impart.




First off, I promised I'd make with the 411 on Monday's DHMC interview, and (as I skipped on posting yesterday) I've yet to make good on that promise.


I think it went really well. I am reluctant to say that, because I am weird superstitious and always suspect I may jinx myself if I'm too self-congratulatory. But truthfully, I just regret that it was sort of a pre-interview and not THE interview. 'Cause it felt like I nailed it. But this interview was just with the HR dept and then she's going to submit my name for 2 different clinical secretary gigs and that would lead to another interview with the supervisor for those specific positions.


As I said before, the hospital is NOT my dream job (but this is f*cking git a JOB !! crunch time...not "follow my bliss" time) but it does have some sweet, sweet bennies attached. So I'm REALLY looking forward to hear back regarding a 2nd interview.


I also applied for some stuff at Dartmouth College, specifically at the University Press & the Hopkins Center. The Hop sent me a letter to simply acknowledge that they are in receipt of my application and are still in the early stages of hiring but uhhh.. STAY TUNED!! Laura thinks I should really jump @ the Hopkins gig, and yeah I'd like that, but she said I should respond to the letter. Which I think is nerdy and overkill. Or nerdy overkill. Y'know?? It would go somethin' like " Dear Sir/Madam...writing to acknowlege your acknowledgement...yadda yaddaaa....so damned enthusiastic about this opportunity...blah blah blaah...think I'd make such a STELLAR addition to your team...blahdee blaah...PICK ME! PICK ME! ..etc..closing comment...With Warmest Regards, SANDRA"

Yeeeahh, I'm not crazy about follow ups. I think I'll...not do that. However ... Andrea ( my interviewer from Monday) gave me her card with her contact info on it (including email address) and I was contemplating maybe emailing a quick "Thank you for your time" kinda email. I probably will do that. Andrea and I did have a moment of post-interview awkwardness though. Prior to leaving, I stopped off in the ladies' room and was washing my hands when she came in. I had this moment of indecision... do I acknowledge that this is a person I just met? Or do I respect bathroom anonymity? Because I feel that, contrary to what MEN think, women do not innately crave camaraderie in the can... not with people who are not already their friends anyway. So I wavered on this for a millisecond, but at last I blurted out "Hi again!" And Andrea was all "Hi" But I felt like mine had a geeky ring to it, as if there was some dorky "Pee here often?" implicit within my tone.And Andrea's "Hi" was cryptically terse, maybe only terse on account of her need to pee, but I was inclined to think it was in reaction to my dorkiness. Who f*cking knows. Regardless of this way-blown-outta-proportion mini-drama, I nailed the dang interview (*knock wood*) I don't think she's apt to yank me outta contention because I said hi to her in the bathroom...that would be tres unreasonable.

It's as if I live within a Seinfeld episode, sometimes. Seriously!!

I have to run to the Leddy group tomorrow and deliver them a copy of my birth cert. (consequently, I really hafta locate that tonight!!) I have been INSAAANE about procrastinating on that. I think I'm in like Flynn there. This (I should remind yous) is the job placement agency (job pimps) I interviewed with at the end of February. I haven't been so enthusiastic about a company pimping me out, and possibly pimping me out for a succession of temporary gigs. I would SOOO much rather obtain employment on my own. So although my procrastinating has been, like 80% due to my natural inclination to procrastinate, a small smidge of that was due to a reluctance to just fully hop aboard that Leddy train. But I think it's probably wise to have them as a sort of safety net. I know exactly what purse I left that birth cert. copy in. I just have to figure out where in the world that purse is. (with Waldo? Carmen Sandiego? Jimmy Hoffa?) Oh, speaking of long lost purses, I found one the other day (not the one I'm now needing to locate...obviously) and a lotta times I slack off about cleaning out purses when I transition to a new one and I'll just take the absolute essentials (wallet, checkbook, compact, lip balm, pad) and leave a lotta assorted crap behind (that doesn't *usually* include important documents, but uhh, there was that one time...) ANYWHOOZIE... found an old tan purse and it had quite a bit of makeup in it (no shocker there) and...a wee bottle of gin. Why the *&&%$#@ was I carrying around gin? I was simultaneously bemused & amused. 'Cause it IS kinda charming in an AbFab sorta way, right??

OK other news to dispense with... I have a BUSINESS TRIP in the not-so-distant future. I really don't know how I feel about it. Here's the email decree we got this a.m. I'm a-doin' a copy & paste because the whole image enlarging feature is SO fickle and I haven't the time to futz around, yo...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We need to have three CCA's from NH spend the week of April 7th in Denton. The travel will be on Monday and Fridays - spending 3 days in Denton to assist with the phones. I am looking for volunteers so that I don't have to pick. This is necessary to make a smooth transition. This is not really an option so the sooner I have volunteers the better. You do not have to worry about credits cards - we will take care of all the expenses.
Please let me know asap.
Thanks


************************************
Maggie L. *&$#@
Customer Care Manager
Thermadyne -West Lebanon
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeeeeah, first off... I don't know when or (more importantly ) WHY this was deemed necessary. It sounds like Nance-conceived bullshit to me. I don't exactly fancy the notion of facilitating my replacement either. It's kinda of like salt on a not-quite-healed-up wound, y'know?? There are many reasons I DON'T want to go (the notion of the flight makes me a bit nervous, for one) but 2 reasons that made me volunteer. First off, she sez "This is necessary to make a smooth transition" ..that statement sends me into the irrational panic of "could refusal give them grounds to withhold my stay bonus??" I've since decided that is unlikely... but it was probably my immediate 1st response to this memo. The 2nd thing that got me was the phrase "we will take care of all the expenses". It sort of disgusts me how very powerless I am to resist freebies. It's apt to get me in to trouble someday!! Like, if I someday go missing, you might want to see if some sketchy dude in a van was trolling the area, offering wine or treats of some sort. I'm prone to fall prey to that sort of thing. Or WORSE...I could wind up in one of those timeshare sales pitch sessions. AAAAGGH!!

So yeah , basically what happened here is the lure of free meals & travel totally overwhelmed my principle-based indignation. Also, if I want to continue to keep my folks in the dark, this trip means I'm going to have to outright lie (vs. just not say anything as I have been)

No comments: