Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jeepers Creepers--where'd ya get THOSE peepers?

Yesterday I had an eye exam. I hadn't been to the eye doc in aaaages and have--for a while now--really noticed the need for a stronger prescription (nothing drastic like blurred/double vision, just squinting to read far-off road signs , that sort of thing) But I procrastinated like a champ (as is my custom). As it really is the very last minute now (with only about a month left on this health insurance that has the swell Vision Service Plan) I called for an appointment at the end of Feb (was going to go in March 5 but had to be cancelled due to a sick doc & had to reschedule).

So yeah, the big catalyst here is that I got me some HealthFunds to use up or lose!! I may just get a boob job or some gratuitous accupuncture.

Anyways.... about my eye exam. I passed. No signs of encroaching glaucoma or similar unpleasantness. I'm getting contacts AND glasses. I've always wanted contacts --mostly because I SOO miss buying cheap sunglasses off the rack @ Walmart. People always suggest either: get prescription sunglasses (I've done that before-- they ain't cheap and are never cute enough to be worth the $$) OR why don't you get Transitions lenses?? (Eww. NO. I prefer squinting, thank you.) But I suspect I may be too flinchy for contacts. I mean, you should've seen me seize up during the eye pressure test (where they blast a jet of air at your eyeball) we had to do like 5 or 6 do-overs. But --fuck it--I'm getting 'em anyways (see observation above re: Health Fund moolah) And I'm getting glasses with THESE Nicole Miller frames.

Oh and I got those eyedrops to give me ginormo guitarist-from-Limp-Bizkit pupils. They stayed huge until nighttime...I enjoyed that (gazing unblinkingly at people until they shudder with heebie-jeebietation)

Sometime after my pupils returned to normalcy, I watched the 3rd installment of TV Land's High School Reunion. I'm kind of addicted to that show. And generally, I avoid just those type of reality shows. Not sure why I got sucked into this one. Perhaps I am just abandoning all principles in my old age.

For Easter I'm going to do a fruit plate, make devilled eggs & stuffed mushrooms (which are kinda becoming my signature dish...that's another principle I'm being a bit fast 'n ' loose with...I've always been a big culinary experimentalist and consequently kinda anti-signature dishes.)

Also I'm going to help my Dad organize Easter egg hunts for the kids. For the past few years I've taken care of the older kids' (Seth & Chloe) hunt, and let him do the little girls' hunt. I always do these rhymey clues but I thought maybe this year I'd just write where the eggs are in secret code. Tell me if you think this code too tricky for a 8 yr old and a 10 yr old to crack--




So thatsa wassup for my long weekend. Oh, and Laura CONFIRMED that Brussels Sprouts are on the Easter dinner menu. Just por moi! Oh happy happy joy joy! I shall try & post again before Monday.

OHHH MONDAY!! That reminds me that I do have a snippet of news to impart in this otherwise lackluster post. OK bad news 1st.... In yesterday's mail I got a short little "letter" from that law office I interviewed at. I did the li'l quotemarks of sarcasm because it was so damn short it shouldn't even be dubbed an actual letter. More of a note really. To the tune of: writing to inform you we've filled this position, yadda yadda, but really enjoyed meeting you, blahdeee blaaah BLAH, we shall keep your resume on file..FIN.

So that's kind of a pissah. But (silver lining alert) I have another interview scheduled for Monday at 11am. It's for some clerical gig at DHMC. The thing about working at the hospital is... well it ain't my dream job (but see, in my best dreams I don't even have a job) but there's definite SECURITY in it (it's not at all a tenuous establishment like some of these small companies I've applied to) and the benefits are fairly kick-ass. Methinks I'll shall do some pre-interview cramming this weekend. That way I'll come off more polished -like and somewhat less stammery. Those poor bastards will be falling all over their poor bastard asses to gimme a job. Awwww yeah.

No comments: