Thursday, March 06, 2008

Memories, if you know what I mean, Vern

I was musing the other day over how clearly I remember the opening theme music to Hey Vern, It's Ernest. I mean, the show ran for a year, tops. And I certainly didn't watch as much Ernest as I did Peewee's Playhouse. But somehow for 20 years I've had this song locked securely in my noggin. The mind is kooky territory, amigos.

Aside from this theme song, I've never been able to shake the compulsion of always wanting to follow up the phrase "you know what I mean?" with "VERN". Furthermore, I feel at times a yen to just call people "Vern" in general (people who are not named Vern) I find myself wanting to rent an Ernest movie. How many did he make anyways??

This morning's fixation (sparked by my desk calendar's mention of Davy Crockett dying @ the Alamo* on this day back in 1836) was comparing the relative merits of Daniel Boone, Davy Crockett & Kit Carson. At this point in my research, Daniel Boone seems the awesomest of the three. He saved his daughter Jemima and a gaggle of her little friends from an Injun war party that had kidnapped 'em. That is SOO boss, eh? So why the hell doesn't Boone have a ballad about him? It's redunkulous bullshit!

*I actually don't remember the Alamo, but I know this much: there is NO BASEMENT @ the Alamo!!

No comments: