Tuesday, March 04, 2008

epilogue on the door drama & miscellany

Last Thursday morning--when my door was failing to latch when shut-- was NOT an isolated incident, unfortunately. It happened again Thursday night, Friday afternoon, again Friday evening. Friday night I oiled up its innards and jiggled the guttyworks about with my brand new slotted screwdriver (consult a pro? Oh pishaw...whatever for? I'm ever so handy!) then left it alone. All day Saturday I entered & exited via the passenger's side door. Then Sunday after mass the door latched no problemo and it has continued to (knock wood) ever since. Perhaps there was a poltergeist inhabiting my door who tired of me dousing it with WD40. Or it could be that , fumbling around with my slotted screwdriver, I happened upon the elusive door Gspot and it will now do my bidding forevermore. Probably it was an issue of frozen guttyworks and the problem thawed itself out. See ? Do ya see in retrospect how needless of help I was?

Saturday was fun. I met up with Roxanny for lunch at "The Fort" (The Fort at Exit 18 is the full name o' the joint actually, it's this truck stop in Leb that's low on atmosphere but just boffo for cheap, yummy eats) and we ate and chatted and co-perused the want ads. I had the Monte Cristo which was *okay* but I kinda wish I'd gotten what she'd ordered-- poached egg, toast, and corned beef hash--which I wouldn't have ordered on account of my never having tried corned beef hash previously. I don't know why I was so reluctant, I'm nuts for corned beef & cabbage. I tried a bit of Roxanne's hash and it was MAGNIFICO.
Anyways, apres lunchie, we went to Queechee to the Antiques Mall and browsed around for a few hours. I picked up some old silver for my sister--namely, this oddball jam serving implement in a 1933 Oneida pattern called "King Cedric" and a spreader in a 1917 Oneida pattern that I can't recall the name of. It wasn't used silverware (which would be kind of icky) but just old lots that never sold. They had some really lovely patterns. I bought myself some clip-on earrings. Yep..clip-ons. Even though my ears are pierced. I like clip-on earrings though, for two reasons. Reason 1- They are becoming somewhat of a rare bird. Even rarer are the "screwback" style of clip-ons. I wanted to get me some o' them, but they didn't have a design I liked. Reason B- I find there's something inexplicably elegant in the gesture--seen in countless movies/ TV shows but never in real life--of slipping off your left clip-on earring just as you answer the phone. You've seen it right? I wanna wear clip on earrings just so's I can do that on occasion.

I'm no antiquities FIEND but I do like them. I feel that jewelry is the best kind of antique. I tried on a really lovely amethyst ring that looked to be from the '20s or '30s and it slid just to the knuckle of my ring finger . No dice!! Unless I wanted to wear it as a pinky ring (LAME..unless you're some kinda mob boss) or get it resized. I'm against the notion of resizing just 'cause I feel I'd rather leave the matter up to fate--in other words: if it doesn't fit, it wasn't meant to be.

Sunday I just hung out at my sister's house. 'Twas a rather unremarkable, low key day ...nada to report there.

No comments: