Friday, March 28, 2008

3-2-1 CONTACTS

So I'm now a bona fide contact lens user. I had to have *TWO* sessions of what they call "fit & dispense" where the optician...optometrist...opthamologist (I don't f***ing know!! ONE of the above...) debriefs you on the wear &care of your contacts and then coaches you with insertion and extraction. Dr D. put in my lenses first (during session 1 on Wednesday) and then I sat for over an hour with this "contacts coach" in front of a magnifying mirror (and, by the way, how great are those things for wrecking one's self esteem? My dry skin made my face resemble the surface of a Drake's fruit pie --you know the ones I mean. My hair was looking a mite greasy that closeup. Add to all that that my whole already ginormo head was magnified X10) So in like, an hour and 15 min (roughly) I was able to take the contacts out, put them in, and take them out again. Yep, I was a wee bit skittish with the pokin' at my eyeball with my finger thang. I was SEVERELY flinchy/blinky. I was doubly frustrated...for myself and also Iwas empathizing with "coach". I imagine it was downright painful watching my snail-slow progress. And after all that, they wouldn't let me go home with 'em..deciding that they could not, in good conscience, release me into wild avec contact lenses without one more lesson.

That second session was this morning and I am very much improved. I'm still a li'l slow, but growing more comfortable. I'm a lot better at taking 'em out than putting 'em in for some reason. I wore them for four hours today. Tomorrow I'm to have 'em on for 6 hrs...then 8 hrs on Sunday...10 hrs from day 4-7. Then I have a quickie 15 min appt with the doc so she can peer at my contacts-clad peepers and make sure I haven't sprouted some grody eyeball rash or some such malady.

I don't know that I'm going to be a full-time wearer of contacts. I'm undecided. I basically wanted 'em for those occasional occasions where I do a boffo job at my make-up (so that my glasses don't detract from said boffo make-up artistry) and for the summertime...so's I can rock a pair of cool cheapie shades. I mean, I did get new glasses too (picked those up on Wednesday) and they ARE daaaamn foxy.

No comments: