Thursday, November 29, 2007

Assorted Leftover Oddments. . .

Today is my oldest niece's 10th birthday!! I was trolling the Nov 29 celeb b-days du jour with particular interest today so that I might have an interesting birthday factoid to bestow on Chloe when I made my afterschool "Happy Birthday" call. Like, when she answered I could holler into the phone "HAPPY FLIPPIN' BIRTHDAY, GIRL!! YOU SHARE A BIRTHDAY WITH LEGENDARY GAME SHOW HOST WINK MARTINDALE!" (that's not true, by the way) And while I found a few names of interest, I couldn't find any celeb that would especially delight Chloe. No Miley Cyrus, or Jonas brother or similar 'tween Disney minion.

Louisa May Alcott was born on Nov 29,1832 and this I took to be a sign that - YES, I should buy Chloe a copy of Little Women for her birthday. I had been kinda wanting to buy her that, but had been reluctant to. I think it's a really good read (incidentally, I really enjoy the 1994 movie version even though I'm generally not much of a Winona Ryder fan) but I worried it might be a bit too much for a 10 year old. It's not so much that the writing is difficult to understand--I don't believe it would be for a smartie like Chlo. But it's just SUPER long. But the shared birthday thing is a sign that she for sure needs to own that book. She doesn't have to read it now. She could read it bit by bit...chip away at it...finish up around the spring of 2015 or thereabouts.

My bangs are catastrophically fucked up today. I had done them very nicely this morning actually. I'd curled them around a velcro roller & hair sprayed it, took said roller out several minutes later after I finished brushing my teeth. And it looked just lovely. But then, as I headed out the door, I jammed my woolly cap on my head. Coiffure calamity then ensued...
If only someone had told me ahead of time that it wasn't very cold out!!! Oy vey..

My pal Kara has me a smidge stoked for this Tin Man miniseries playing this weekend. Good luck with that link... she linked to the same page in her blog a few days back but I just arrive at a big pic of the cast and a message telling me that my version of Adobe Flash is inadequate crap-ola (well, not in those words, exactly). Still, I've seen enough to suspect that this miniseries is "right up my alley". Uhh, even though I'm pretty much clueless on the plot/premise here. Whatever. I like that Zooey Deschanel. And, not to be catty, but she really whupped her sister's ass in the battle for the hi-qual genes. (This chick is , somehow, her sister. She bears a stronger resemblance to Skeletor. Shit. So much for my NOT being catty. Meee-OW)
Even more up my alley (I LOATHE that cliche, by the way... I'm just SO friggin' stumped re: an alternative phrase) is this upcoming PBS event. And yet the PBS folks are vexing me here....could they be any vaguer than : "Coming in 2008" ?? WTF PBS?? Grrrrr!!!

No comments: