Wednesday, November 07, 2007

musicology

Among a bevvy of other purchases I made this weekend, I acquired a "Jaw Harp" also called a "Jew's Harp". From what I have gleaned so far, the instrument has nothing to do with the Jews and hardly anything to do with the jaw. So it feels more befitting to me to call it a "twanger". And so I have been. This is the instrument I mean, by the way---


Sadly, I do not have a Snoopy brand harp (I would be BEYOND ELATED) , it is Toysmith brand, but the harp looks identical to this.
Now although this was primarily a Christmas shopping trip, this harp was actually a purchase for yours truly. I know, I know , you're thinking "Great stocking stuffer for the nephew/one of the nieces!!" But..au contraire mon frère !! I snatched up the thang for me own personal, musical enhancement. I thought it would be such fun to master some folky, old timey instrument such as this. I'm already a whiz at playing a jug. Ok, well I'm somewhat proficient and it's not really a jug, but an empty 20oz Diet Coke bottle. But I'm SURE if I had a proper jug I'd pick it up with the greatest of ease. After I master the Jew/Jaw/twanger harp, I might try learning to play washboard or the spoons. Then I could quit this FOOL job and join Emmett Otter's band. I know they got somebody on washboard, but I don't think they have anyone playing the twanger or the spoons. Awwwww YEAH.
OK here's the problem...
I can't play this damn thing. I persist in trying...but it's not so easy as you'd presume. I even looked it up on Wikipedia (Oh here's a neat-o quote from that article :"Since trances are facilitated by droning sounds, the Jew's harp has been associated with magic and has been a common instrument in shamanic rituals. " no wonder I was inexplicably allured by this instrument!! How RAD is that??) and then on YouTube (for a sort of vid tutorial) even though we were recently warned that the co. has stepped up supervision of our net activity. I couldn't resist looking it up. I am super duper determined to figure this sucka out!! Do you think studying JawHarpery online will be an extra-nefarious red flag for the corp IT spies?? We shall see, amigos...
Check this dude out. He is my HARP IDOL. He makes it look damned easy but believe you me, it AIN'T. I will keep on workin' at it... will let you's all know if I progress at all...

No comments: