Friday, November 16, 2007

a Shep by any other name...

On the local oldies station, one of the DJs is called "Shep Sutton". I say "is called" rather than "is named" because I have a hard time believing that "Shep Sutton" is this dude's actual, legal name. Legal or no, that moniker cracks my shit up! "Shep" is just killer, in and of itself, but ya tack on "Sutton" and it's off the f**king charts, man!!

Now I don't like "Shep" as like, a prospective first born son name or anything like that. But wouldn't it be a terrific character name? If I wasn't so profoundly noggin-constipated when it comes to conceiving original plots, then I might come up with an original plot and spin that into a short story (or--if the muse was feeling generous-- a novel) and in this story I would fit a "Shep" character in there somewheres. Probably even a Shep S _________, for that nice alliterative effect, but not using "Sutton" because that would be like cheating, y'know?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, first of all, I know Shep personally and yes that is his real name. Second, he is an extremely nice guy, one of the nicest guys I have ever met. I can't tell if you like him or you don't but if you knew him personally like I do, it's impossible not to like Shep.

Sandra said...

Did I inadvertantly imply a dislike here? That was not my intent. The only observation I'm proffering is that the gentleman's name (a name which I like, btw) just strikes me as too good to be true. Don't you think it's a bit fantastic?
I don't listen to all that much radio since I got my iPod, but when I do happen to catch him on Oldies 104, Shep always sounds rather nice. Gosh, he *must* be, to accrue such LOYAL comrades.

Good to hear from you and much thanks for the enlightenment...

Anonymous said...

He was named after actor Shepard Sikes, and Sutton is his given name.