Wednesday, October 03, 2007

willy nilly hodge podge

Today's outfit kind of gives off the impression that I am taking fashion tips from my niece...the 2yr old one. By that, I mean, I look sort of like I'm playing dress-up today.

See, I wanted to wear this skirt ... this floaty, flowy coral thing with silver thread pinstripes running through it. I zeroed in on said skirt because I'd not worn it in a long while and also it would nicely match this silvery pair of earrings I'd made last night (I've been doing beadwork a lot lately...producing like mad...I'm only wearing like 1/8 of the stuff I make...I'm amassing quite the jewelry surplus) So I paired the skirt w/ a black v-neck tee and (because I was cold) a denim jacket. Also, I didn't want my bare legs exposed to the a.m. chilliness (also the skirt is somewhat sheer) so I was going to slip on some black tights. Oh snaaaap...my lone pair of black tights are dirty! But I was not deterred ...I put black leggings on underneath the skirt. Ohhh, and it's infinitely more shabby than the standard(circa 1987) bike shorts/ mid calf leggings under a skirt play. Yeeeah, these leggings come right down to the top of my feets (all the better to conceal my hirsute gams) and you can totally see 'em peeking out from under my skirt. Oh, and on my feet -these beaded silver slipper-like mules. Objectively, I consider the whole ensemble and it makes me cringe. But really, I feel pretty good about it. It seems it's rather liberating to let your inner child pick out your clothes every now & then. Plus, I'm quite happy with my shoes (sometimes shoes really do "make or break it" for me) and these earrings are maaaahvelous (if I do say so myself!!)

I for lunch I had these microwaveable mini quesadillas which were decent, but I felt I needed to accent these 'dillas with dipping condiments, so I'd also procured (at my nearby Shaw's) an 8oz container of sour cream & a tub of guacamole. Thank god for the guac!!! I'd intended to grab the low fat sour cream and made the horrid faux pas of grabbing FAT FREE SOUR CREAM instead. It's amazing how something that is so excellent, condiment ROYALTY, when tweaked ever so slightly, can transmogrify into such heinous slop. It pretty much tastes like plain yogurt..which is also vile.

Tonight I'm back making dinner for my parents on "Make Dinner for the Parents Night" after a 2 week hiatus. I think I'll make turkey sloppy Joes and zucchini fritters. Sound good? I'll letchya know...


Well, due to "Make Dinner for the Parents Night" I am going to miss the series premiere of "Pushing Daisies". What --pardon my brief aside-- the hell is up with the name of that show anyways?? I think it's supposed to be a kind of jokey morbid reference, but then shouldn't it be "Pushing UP Daisies"?? "Pushing Daisies" makes it sound like it's about selling flowers. Minor title quibbles aside, this show looks like it'll be pretty good. Luckily, I had the foresight to tape it. It's gotten a lotta positive pre-premiere buzz, I know that. It looks whimsical yet simultaneously poignant y'know? Like it has that kind of Amelie vibe about it, knowwhatimeanvern? And I DO so enjoy a bit o' whimsy. Plus-- it has Anna Friel in it and she was in the excellent miniseries Our Mutual Friend (which may well be the best $14.99 I ever spent in Borders). Incidentally,later on in her career this lucky lass got to tongue tossle with Gerard Butler in Timeline (a total dud of a film...worthwhile only for ogling GB outfitted in 14th century attire). And the male lead of the show--Lee Pace--well I dunno him from Adam, but I appreciate the retro flavored risk he's taking with his coiffure.




[Seriously, DON'T knock the twist,man. Don't you f***ing dare!! ]


Now let's take a moment, shall we, to learn a bit about Chubby Checker...who turns 66years old today(and YOU thought I was being totally arbitrary...au contraire! It's his b-day, foo!!)


So, fresh fodder for your "ya learn somethin' new everyday file"...here is 3 things you may not have known about Chubby Checker...


1.His birth name is Ernest Evans


2.He has a freakishly tall daughter who plays in the WNBA


3. His website proclaims him the originator of the concept of ""Dancing Apart to the Beat". I'm not entirely sure what he means by that. I think he means that prior to his arrival on the scene, no one was dancing sans partner to a beat? That's what it sounds like...and I'm seriously skeptical that Chubbers can take full credit for that. The best bit on his website is where they describe the twist ( for, I suppose, young 'uns who have never had the thrill of watching the gloriously redunkulous spectacle that is the Twist) . ChubbyChecker.com explains :" The Twist is putting out a cigarette with both feet, wiping off your bottom with a towel to the beat of the music. If you're wiping off your bottom with a towel to the beat your not touching your partner and doing that thing at the same time. This is "Dancing Apart To The Beat".


Uhhh huh... so ok, I was stomping out the 2 ciggies I was smoking in the shower and towelling off my ass at the same time...however I was touching a partner that whole time so I'm not sure quite WHAT I was doing. Apparently I was not following the doctrine of Chubby Checker properly...I dunno. His website's homepage blathers on with even more nonsensical jibber jabber of that nature plus a myriad of moronic grammatical errors.

But hey, don't think I don't appreciate the dude. I do! Firstly & foremostly I am awed & impressed that he attained any degree of success as a singer with that voice he has. It has something of a Kermit the Frog timbre to it...like he might have phlegm welling up in his esophagus. And the Twist...I love. I don't quite understand why I find it so g.d. amusing, but no other dance move evokes a comparable comical effect. Y'know,really sticking out your arse and doing a very exaggerated, fey-wristed, circa 1961 Bandstand twist (imagine doing that in a packed club...HAAA!) And let's not overlook Chub's 1987 collaboration with The Fat Boys. It takes a great & sorta commendable shamelessness to rehash your former glories with The Fat Boys.
So here's to ya, Mr. Checker, sir. I fully intend to towel off my ass in time to some rock 'n' roll music in homage to you today. Happy damn birthday!!

No comments: