Tuesday, October 09, 2007

I forgot to recap my weekend. I don't want y'all to think I had an unworthy-of-recap sort of weekend. I'd hate for y'all to think I don't do anything unless I get free tix handed to me (ie: Red Sox last weekend)

Well, the weekend started out rather foully, when, on my way southward to Windsor on I91, I ran over who-effing-knows-what and blew out my rear passenger's side tire. It was no dramatic blow-out (like "kaaa-BLAMMO!!" and then me fishtailing all over the place) But I just heard something rattle against my undercarriage (I never did see what it was I hit...sounded like a stick, oddly enough) moments later, I noticed the increase in road noise..realized what that meant. Shiiiiiiit!! My exit was in sight at this point and I was really averse to pulling over on the interstate...so I drove on it aways. Yeah, yeah, I know...stupid. I just drove to the park & ride that's right near the exit ramp. And luckily, I did not fuck up my rim by doing so. Wrecked the steel belts though.

I had been on my way to meet up with my sis & the fam at the Moondance in Windsor, so, knowing that that crew was a mere 2 miles away, I rang my bro-in-law's cell. And he came (what seemed like eons later) with his pal Tom. I had already tried (& miserably failed) with a can of that Fix-a-flat schmeg. I got the jack, tire iron, & doughnut out of the trunk , and then some old biker dude stepped in to lend a hand. By the time Greg got there, there was not much left to do aside from tighten the lugs on the doughnut. Greg is insistent, though, that his arrival on the scene saved me from almost certain defiling and/or murder. Pishaw! The guy was this old chatty, Harley guy, possibly a vagrant. I am 98% sure he was harmless. It's the pasty faced dudes with Dwight Shrute style glasses who drive vans that you gotsta look out for.

In retrospect, it kinda pisses me off that I felt compelled to call Greg, and that I accepted help from some Harley dude (which is not to say that I didn't appreciate it. And I was very profuse with my thank-yous. Nauseatingly so. Shockingly, I refrained from busting out the Southern belle accent to coo "Ah have always depended on the kaaahndness of strangahs") But damn it... I know how to use a jack! I can capably weild a tire iron...I think.. Grrr!! I feel like I've let down the cause.

Anyways, after a quick detour to drop my gimpy be-doughnutted auto off at my parents', I went to the Moondance. The Moondance is this annual thang Windsor holds every Oct where they close off a section of Main St and have vendors, bands, fatty fair food, BEER. Oh this year they had fire baton jugglers...that was cool. Unfortunately, I missed the tarot & palm readers they had down at the hairdressers. I had wanted to pop in and get a reading (which I would only consent to if the medium/seer/sage/whatev. agreed at the outset that she would withhold any bad shit she foresaw) but forgot all about it.

Saturday was uneventful. It was basically, "figure-out-what-to-do-with-my-gimpy-car" day. I wound up taking my Dad's truck & bringing one of my winter tires to Walmart to get mounted onto my busted tire's rim. Now that is a surprisingly cheap procedure, I was pleased to learn. Dad tells me I've got to either get my other 3 winters mounted and put on the jalopy or I have to find another similar (if not same brand) all-season and swap that1 winter out. Does it really make a fat lotta difference ?? Really?? As you can see, I just wanna be done with the whole hassle. I suppose, ultimately, I'll just put on my 3 winters ( that will be cheaper as far as *immediate* expenses go, although I will have to get 1 more all season eventually) but knowing me I'll procrastinate for as long as I can.

Sunday was Octoberfest at Harpoon brewery. So, yeah, the mega-abridged version of my weekend would be-- Beer/ tire shopping / more beer. I was meeting Pam there at noon and had to stop at the store then gas up , making me about 15min late. But I called and left her voicemails (this time all profuse with the sorrys) When Pam & her boyfriend showed up approx 1hr & 45min late, my own guilt subsided quite a bit. Luckily, I'd run into some other people I knew (one of whom--bonus!!-- gave me some of his beer tickets) that's lucky for Pam, I mean, otherwise, I mighta been one pissed Octoberfester.

And Sunday night, like I mentioned in yesterday's post, I caught up on Grey's Anatomy (and Ugly Betty now that I think of it) with my sis. And maaaaan, I dunno if it was loitering about in the sun all day or the beer (or beer & sun collaborating to plague me) but I had a BITCH of a headache Sunday night...

No comments: