Monday, October 08, 2007

TV chatter...

Heroes is on tonight ...yippy skippy. I've been rather enjoying Season 2's absence of Nikki/Jessica and her whole snooooooze of a subplot but I believe she's on tonight. Pissah. Still, I am eager for this episode. How the hell is Sylar back? Did he not get "run through" (swordplay jargon there). I thought he did, but last May seems a loooong time ago, and I swear, I can't remember clearly how most of these shows left off! I think he would've had to kill Clare and ingest her cerebellum (or whatever the hell his M.O. is) in order to acquire her invincibility. In a totally separate vein, I forget what happened to Invisible Claude. He didn't get killed or anything did he? Either way, they should contrive a way to bring him back. I enjoyed him. And I *REALLY* enjoy new amnesiac Peter. What a difference the right haircut & a layer of grit makes, eh? If he saved me from peril as he did that Irish barmaid, I would not be too proud to take him down via lust-induced tackle. However, it seems aforementioned Irish barmaid holds off until tonight's eppy. Oh, also I am looking forward to how West starts that "Oh, hey...saw you lop off your little toe and regenerate a new one" conversation with Claire.

I've also been tuning in to Chuck before Heroes. It's by no means "must-see TV" but it's pleasant enough. Zachary Levi really carries the show, though. His character is quite likeable but everyone else seems pretty cardboard.

Oh and speaking of NBC's Monday night lineup...what's with Medium being off until January? It's fine for shows like Nip/Tuck (on FX) to set their own wonky seasons, but this is NETWORK TV, people!! I thought perhaps it had been silently, covertly cancelled, but according to TV.com its status is "returning series" with Season 4 premiering in January. (TV.com also classes Men in Trees as a "returning series" but I feel pretty sure that show is a goner) I don't really care...I tune in sporadically at best. But I do like Jake Weber (my thing for him held over from my brief, ardent viewership of American Gothic 10 yrs ago) and like for him to be employed.

Last night I finally got around to watching Grey's Anatomy. Laura had it DVRed and I came over and watched it w/ her. We are pretty much in agreement about George & Izzie being an utterly repugnant couple. I say "pretty much" because we do differ on one point. I think Izzie is a redeemable character while Laura sez this horrid little romance ruins both characters indefinitely. Now I liked both George & Izzie before they decided, quite suddenly, that they was IN LOOOOVE. But George, methinks, has done far too much angsty whining, and pissing and moaning to wile his way back into my good graces. And worst of all, of course, is the impending heart-stomping he is going to give poor Callie (whom I like). But Izzie, while I suppose she is just as angsty and whiny as George, yet somehow I still like her just a smidge. I'm thinking she can turn this around--an affair with Sloane, perhaps?---and win back my favor. Ok that potential plot seems out of left field I know, but I do have a good argument for it. I've thought before that Sloane & Izzie would make a good pair. Think about it.. a big reason why Izzie & George don't work is that they're too much alike. Neurotic whiny sensitive type+ Neurotic whiny sensitive type = BLAH match up. You need 2 contrasting types to create TV chemistry, y'know? Izzie is all addled & neurotic, Sloane is cool & guarded. Sort of that interesting princess & rogue pairing (need I point out who is the "rogue" in this scenario? Sloane is the rogue. A DAMN sexy rogue, too, I must interject!! As long as I'm interjecting, I gotta grouse --it just kills me that Eric Dane is married to that Noxema Girl. I mean, I do realize it would be unreasonable of me to expect a fine-ass specimen such as McSteamy hisself to be single. But married to her? Really?? UGGGH -- she irritated me ages ago in those infernal commercials and she irritates me still. Sorry...have rather veered off topic, haven't I??)
Ok, secondly, what nifty poetic justice would it be if George & Izzie embarked on this ill-advised relationship and after they were well into it, Izzie winds up in some unavoidable mad love affair with Sloane and realizes (& must tell George) that she made a big mistake with him. Just like he did to poor Callie. That would be excellent.
I really DON'T expect that storyline to ever materialize, as these dramas never play out like I think they should (ridiculous!). But whatever plans Grey's has for Season 4 , they NEED to give McSteamy more to do. I like how his friendship w/ Derek is on the mend, but still, he is tragically underutilized. He needs something of a storyline. Ideally, he oughtta acquire a storyline of his own and some lovin'. Karev needs some lovin' too, come to think of it. That chick he saved during that ferry/bridge catastrophe does not count. Nothing really actually happened with her, which was just as well because she was LAME. I don't mean lame , as in unable to walk (although that may have been...having a slab o' concrete land on you can tend to hinder your perambulatory functions) I mean lame as in she sucked, I didn't like her. I mean, of course she was sucky, dude more or less found her under a rock, am I right??

Oh, and Addison needs to come back. I accidentally watched episode 2 of Private Practice and things ain't lookin' good for that newbie. I'm sure Seattle Grace will take her back right?? I had watched the weak-ass pilot for Private Practice, beheld that it was horrible, with all the pith and nuance of an infomercial, and earmarked the show as "one to skip". But last week, I taped the Pushing Daisies premiere but was unsure if it started up @ 8pm or 9pm so I just taped ABC from 8pm -10pm. So I saw that I'd caught PP as well, and opted to watch it, purely out of my strong inclination for always giving the benefit of the doubt. Good shows sometimes have bad pilots, y'know. Pilots sometimes must be very explanatory and have no momentum behind them so I see how they're tough to do. So I watched this PP episode, but ehh, no. The show is still crap. They had a very sad plot about a baby switch, but it was entirely the guest starring cast that made that story poignant. The regular cast was as dull and flat as ever. Kate Walsh was so excellent on Grey's too. She should just abandon ship as soon as possible, man.

Oh, but Pushing Daisies was pretty terrif. Quirky & whimsical, like I thought it would be, though I did not predict that I would be so smitten with Lee Pace. First off, for a guy, I detest the name Lee. Sure, there are worse guy names, and probably I wouldn't hate it so much if it didn't make me think of Lee Majors. LAME. Secondly, the guy did not look overly attractive in any of the ads for the show. And he's not traditionally foxy but..hmmm..I dunno.. he's got something. He has his own distinct mojo, I think. But anyways, if you have a free 8-9 slot in your Wednesday night (or in your DVR/Tivo's Wednesday night) you should seek this one out. I am curioso...can DVRs record 2 shows that air simultaneously?? I--obviously--do not have one. I eye my sister's covetously, that's as close as I get to this awe inspiring techno-marvel. Waaah.

No comments: