Tuesday, October 23, 2007

newly acquired tuneage

songs I bought / burned to CD this weekend...

1. Radio Nowhere [Bruce Springsteen]- I really dig this song. It surprises me that I like a *new* Springsteen song, though. I had thought he'd lost me for good in the mid '90s when he was doing sappy soundtrack contributions (see:Philadelphia , Jerry Maguire ) But perhaps not. This is the Bruce I like.

2. Lazy Eye [Silversun Pickups]- I'd heard this song on the radio and became quite smitten with it, but had the damnedest time tracking down the song name & artist. I had never heard of the Silversun Pickups (don't think many people have..)

3.When Did your Heart go Missing? [Rooney] This is a recent song, but something about it makes me want to sport Reebok Freestyles with very bulky neon-hued socks and then dance like I'm in Wham's Wake Me Up Before you Go-go vid.

4.An End has a Start[Editors]-- poppy moody neuvo new wave. Nice.

5.LDN [Lily Allen]-- I felt predisposed to like Lily Allen ...on account of her cute Britishness (as opposed to a SCARY Brit a la snaggletooth Amy Winehouse) and even cuter wardrobe. But then I heard this song and thought--you guessed it--"really cute!" I especially like the horns. Evokes Culture Clubs "I'll Tumble 4Ya" but maybe it's just me...I seem to presently be of a mindset to assess all music in 80s pop context.

6.Umbrella [Rihanna]-- Rihanna is also immensely adorable. (So there-- not all young celebrichicks are scary and/or disgusting trainwrecks. Have faith..) I dig this song, even if I did resist it a bit at first. Luckily, I don't own any umbrellas, and generally choose not to use them (just one more thing to schlep around, and I actually like the rain) because I suspect repeated listenings to this song may permanently alter the way I say "umbrella. ella. ella. aye.aye. aye..."

7. Give it To Me [Timbaland/Nelly Furtado/Justin Timberlake] I don't know whose song this is exactly...they all have pretty equal mic time. I think I downloaded off Timbaland's album...

8.Stronger [Kanye West]- I love this song. I didn't want to (I don't want to enable Kanye's attitude problem) but I couldn't help it.

9.How We Operate [Gomez]-- Great beginning of the song (that's a banjo!! I've jammed along to Rainbow Connection enough times to know a banjo when I hear it! BRAVO for rockin' the sadly underutilized banjo, senors Gomez!!) and then when it picks up the pace it is just killer, but it gets a smidge draggy toward the end.

10.1234 [Feist]-- In a cute-off, Feist ANNIHILATES both Rihanna & Lily Allen with this song. I so love this song. The only possible competition (in aforementioned hypothetical cute-off) would be (reaching 30+yrs into the past) Melanie with Brand New Key (ok..good... seems I'm breaking out of that strict 1980s musical frame of ref.)

11.Keep on Lovin' You [REO Speedwagon]-- I'm certainly not the REO Speedwagon nut that my sister is. But this, I do concur, is one of the best sing-alongs ever. And it gets bonus cheez points for being prominently featured in Drive Me Crazy. And there is a rattlesnake sound effect hid in there...I had never noticed that before. How did I miss that??


12. Such Great Heights [Postal Service]


13.Chasing Cars [Snow Patrol]-- the fact that these fellahs are Irish and when, not singing, speak with delightful Irish accents.... that just makes the whole emotional earnestness thing they 've got goin' here oh so much more endearing.


14.I'm On Fire [Bruce Springsteen]-- best Boss song EVER (sez me)!!!


15. Wake Up Call [Maroon 5]


16.Ayo Technology [50 Cent & co.] I really like this one. Y'know.. I find myself wanting Fiddy to bring back that mad catchy "Go-- go-- go SHAWTY Ish yo birfday" in one/some of his new songs. But I don't suppose that will ever happen...WAH.


17. The Way I Are [Timbaland]-- initially I was a li'l peeved at Timbaland for propagating substandard grammar, but after I got past that, I found that I rather enjoy this song.

1 comment:

Kara said...

At least you know you're a poser... most people don't.. and I appreciate your loyalty to someone who served you good beer. That's my girl!