Monday, October 01, 2007

weekend recap (the Reader's Digest version)

Lemme see...

Friday night we had a comical incident with a skunk in the garbage can at my folk's house.


Saturday I didn't do much. I helped my father clean out the old playhouse (am toying with the notion of repurposing that playhouse as like "studio space" now that there's room to move in it) then I fell asleep playing Sudoku...proceeded to nap for 2 hrs.


Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY...the Red Sox game was terrif. Firstly & foremostly, I cannot gush enough over the whole Milne Travel experience. Ohhh, the convenience of having somebody else organize the trip, navigate, drive, having a bus with a toilet on it! (I did avail myself of the onboard facilities, and it was a weird sensation to be peeing & aware all the while of traffic rushing by 5 ft to your right... I suppose if I patronized outhouses on median strips, it would have seemed less weird to me) Well, possibly because the return transport was all arranged for us, Roxanne & I felt free (when we got to Fenway an hour & a half before game time) to quaff a couple bevvies at Boston Beer Works. I particularly enjoyed their blueberry brew ...sounds funky but it was really good. They actually floated small blueberries in it. And I think it was this fruity brew that really knocked me on my ass...ok, " knocked me on my ass" is probably too strong a phrase but a buzz was most definitely acquired. A buzz that was not conducive to finding your assigned box & row (took us a looong time). I think that Milne has a good section (they buy up a block at the start of the season) but, this being my first pro sports game of any kind, I'm no afficianado of these things. I sat in the right field box , Box 92 , Section 6, row F seat #6. We were right down on the field and I bet if I hadn't left my binoculars on the bus, I'd have had a great view of the action. I did not need binoculars, however, to gawk at the fox that, at about the 6th inning, snuck into the row ahead of us (mmm, well, I think it was 2 rows in front of us actually, but luckily there was no one in the row right ahead of us to impede my view of said fox) . He had on a #58 Papelbon shirt, and he sort of evoked Channing Tatum in A Guide to Recognizing your Saints. He was very into the game...made it easier to stare shamelessly. Yes I DID watch the game too (though probably not as intently). And drank some more beer and ate really yummy bad-for-me eats.

I tend to zero in on the "soundtrack " of events/ places. When I shop, go out to eat, whatever, I'm always listening to the piped in music. I read an ESPN article once that listed a bunch of baseball players (don't recall if they were AL or NL players) and what these players selected as their at-bat music. That would be the only kind of ESPN article that's apt to interest me, really.
So I sorta had me "ears open" to pick out the at-bat music. The only player who stood out in that regard was Mike Lowell (#25) who had Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" play when he went to bat. Niiiiiice. Very solid choice...I don't know if I'd use it , if I were the pro-ball player, not sure what I'd pick. Maybe some AC/DC? Prodigy?

No comments: