Thursday, October 11, 2007

oddball compliments


Last night I went over to my Aunt 'Rainey's house for dinner. MAAAAN, if I put on a meal like she does I would have to start cooking 2 or 3days in advance!! There was turkey, stuffing, rolls, mashed taters, gravy, sweet potatoes, squash, cranberry sauce....apple pie a la mode. Now, I realize that Canadian Thanksgiving was on Monday but this was not in belated celebration of that. No special occasion whatsoever, just your average ginormous Hump Day feast. Against my better judgement...I ate like Mr Creosote.

Another dinner guest there was my Aunt Lorraine's friend/neighbor Dora. She is this spry old lady, very sweet, who has been sort of adopted as an honorary family member. She generally laughs at all my jokes, and really that is all I require in any dinner companion.

So just before dinner last night, Dora remarks to me "I like your teeth" to which I actually responded "Come again?" And she says "Your teeth. You have such pretty teeth." How odd. It wouldn't be the most bizarre-o of compliments, except for the fact that I know my teeth are not great and certainly not "pretty". I mean, I do think there's a lot of truth to the old saying "You're your own worst critic" but in this case I am being perfectly objective and factual in reporting that my teeth are UNpretty. I accepted pretty gracefully (I wisely suppressed my immediate reflex-- to contradict her) and just said "Mmm. Thanks."
Like I said, Dora is a very sweet lady. That being so, she really doesn't seem the type to pass around phony compliments. I concluded that either she just has a very broad notion of "pretty" or the poor woman is getting cataracts...

No comments: