Wednesday, February 21, 2007

someone will fly, someone will die (your dog will call the FBI)

I was quite satisfied with the outcome of Mon night's "Heroes" episode. The flying was just AWESOME, the deaths-nothing too tragic. Well of course, it's unfortunate that the mechanic chick w/ super hearing was beheaded but, I had yet to grow too terribly attached to her. And Simone getting shot...well I was kind of rooting for that. I never did figure out exactly what about her was so offputting to me (not that it matters now) but I'm presuming someone with pull on the writing staff was in agreement with on me on her being an unnecessary drain on the show.
Now next episode looks like a real "corker" (to borrow a phrase my Dad would employ) the only downside being that if it IS so explosive and there are so many big questions answered than that surely indicates that this'll be the last new episode before a lengthy break. Oh shitake...is that why NBC has been hyping this new "Black Donnellys" show 50 times an hour, 24 hrs a day? Is THAT their mid-season replacement offering?? BLAH. I am SO not enticed.

So I know my "Heroes " reactions come a day late but, I still consider it relevant to today because when browsing Feb 21 celeb b-days today (as is my daily custom) I noticed that Jack "Papa Bennett" Coleman turns 49 yrs old today. Of course I remembered him being on Dynasty back in the day (he played Steven--Blake Carrington's gay son) but I was astounded by how much, much more TV work he's done besides.

I opted for the photo of Jack in his Dynasty days as that is when he was at peak foxiness, and he gets so much attention for "Heroes" these days anyways...

So yeah, it is, I confess, terribly LAZY to build a post around a celebrity birthday. I try not to fall back on that gimmick too often, but sometimes I can't resist. Usually the case is that when reading up on said b-day celeb I will discover a surprising trivia nugget that I just cannot keep to myself. LeVar Burton being in that music video, for instance. If I hadn't been celebrating LeVar's birthday last Fri then tell me, WHEN would I have had the opportunity to link to Cameo's "Word Up" video?? Maybe when I did my "Salute to Nasty Codpieces" post...but that's a massive undertaking that I'm not yet prepared to tackle...

Well you might've surmised that I've dug up an intriguing factoid about Mr Bennett...and you'd be correct. ... Jack Coleman is a 6th generation grandchild of Benjamin Franklin!! How wild is that?? Personally, I find it uncannily coincidental that TV's Steven Carrington would in real life be a decendant of Ben Franklin because who is BLAKE CARRINGTON if not a latter day fictional Ben Franklin?? Well I can't quite picture him out in the rain flying a kite (getting his luxurius Nolan Miller threads all soggy) but they're both larger-than-life, white-haired philandering entrepeneurs. Y'see the parallels?? I find it SO illuminating to consider American History as if it were an Aaron Spelling cheese-stravaganza from the 80s. Makes it more REAL, more relatable. Imagine, for instance, the Civil War transpiring on the Love Boat... interfering Yankee tourists are encamped on the lido deck and they've decided to liberate Isaac from his humble drink lackey duties...will Captain Stubing tolerate such insolent mutiny? Will the Pacific Princess secede from the fleet of more progressive cruise ships??

This pic on my MSN homepage surprised me:


Why is this dude splashed all over the internet when I have yet to hear one of his little ditties on the radio?? Why is spawn of Thicke such big news? What is UP with that?? What the hell, no fresh Anna Nicole news today?
I did see a Robin Thicke video this summer that moved me to post , not because I was like "Awww-YEAH! That's my jam right there!" But because I was astonished by what a young Jason Seaver this guy was. Looks JUST like dear ol' Dad, don'tcha think? His song, if I remember correctly, was pretty crappy, though not memorably so.

No comments: