Tuesday, February 20, 2007

if music be the food of love play on, Player..

Don't ask me how yammering about food got me thinking about music... possibly because "Food, Glorious, food" is a title from the Oliver! soundtrack. Absolutely LOVE that musical. Speaking of Olivers...Oliver Reed was in that flick...therefore this is as good a time as any to own up to having a bizarre retroactive crush on Oliver Reed (this is late 60s Oliver Reed, mind you, and NOT this fellow). Sure he mighta been a womanizin' drunk, but uniquely attractive nonetheless. Same thing with late 60s/early 70s era Alan Bates...another oddball retroactive celeb crush of mine.

Is that weird? Perhaps mildly so...

But back on the topic of music-- here are some tunes I want to download--

**"Dashboard" by Modest Mouse [check out the song here]
**"O Valencia!" by the Decemberists [I love this song and it's been ricocheting around in my skull lately because one of my TX colleagues is named Valencia and she was supposed to come for a visit this week. It's probably just as well that she couldn't cough up the dinero for her ticket, because I'm apt to have driven her LOCO with continual serenades of this tune...]it's featured on their webpage jukebox if you care to get the song stuck in YOUR head too...
**"In the Air Tonight"by Phil Collins [When Ryan Starr covered it this summer on Rock Star Supernova, it reminded me how much I adore the song-- it's muy intense, so POWERFUL. The original (& greatest) version came on the radio the other night when I was cruising around in my car...I turned it up to window-rattling decibels..also risked going off the road so's I could give my all air drumming along to those couple of awesome explosive percussion parts]
**"I Don't Want to Know" by Mario Winans [I have wanted to download this one for a looong time, but everytime I download I forget it. That would seem to imply that I don't really care too much about acquiring this song. But that is not the case!! I truly DO like it!!]
**"I Thank You" & "La Grange" by ZZ Top [ heard both these songs on Q106 tonight as they were doing Two-for-Tuesdays...come to think of it, 99Rock also does the Two-for-Tuesday thing (2 songs in a row by the same group/artist) I'm curious as to how many radio stations, nation-wide, think they've got a unique gimmick going w/ their Two-for-Tuesday Tuesdays. That would be quite the little research project, that is, if you were of the inclination to undertake sundry research projects in your leisure time. Anyhow, I'm not usually real big on the "classic rock" genre (you know the real blue collar crap of the .38 Special ilk) but there are always exceptions, and a few of these are exceptions are by ZZ Top. "Legs" I like, but as it is the ubiquitous ZZTop hit, it's a trifle played out. I'm fond of "Sharp Dressed Man" partly because it's a decent song but mostly because I totally concur with the message they're puttin' out there... I'm not certain that * every * girl is crazy about a sharp dressed man (but this one is!) But "La Grange" & "I Thank You" both these songs amuse the hell out of me. I don't know which member of ZZ is doing the vocals on "La Grange" but they have this hilarious froggy sort of voice. And that"Aw HAW HAW HAW"--that MAKES the song. They should've made a special Grammy that year for Best Crazy Laugh in a Pop Song just so they coulda given the prize to ZZTop. I don't know how many years (many many years) I just referred to that song as 'The "AWW HAW HAW HAWW Song' I think I only recently learned the proper title of it. But, sadly, like most catchy vocal bits there's not nearly enough of the "AW HAWW HAW HAW" This is similar to there not being enough of the "Go Shawty-ish yo' Birfday" refrain in 50Cent's "In the Club" and probably the Oakridge Boys' "Elvira" could do with a few extra "OW-OOM BOPPA OOOM BOPPA MOW MOW"s in that insanely low bass. Now "I Thank You" is an odd mix of funny and repulsive. The words of the song are all quite intelligible, w/ no overwhelming instrumentals so there is no choice but to listen to the dirty lyrics (title links to lyrics,btw). I have no problem with smut in general, and initially the song gives me fits of juvenile, junior high giggles... but then I think of the ZZTop guys being smutty and I STOP mid chortle... to heave. Almost as violent as my bald-Britney dry heaves. Now, I think the whole ZZTop aesthetic is well known, but in case you're a TOTAL pop culture neophyte, I will provide a visual:


Yeeeeeeeah...pretty ucky, ain't it?

No comments: