Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Loooove, exciting and new...



Today is Gavin MacLeod's birthday. He is 77 today!! Hard to believe..he really doesn't look any older than he did in his Capt. Stubing days. I suspect that he and Florence Henderson have made pacts with Satan to prevent them from aesthetically aging. Or maybe it's a sort of "Picture of Dorian Gray" kind of scenario, where, in some secret sector of the MacLeod manse, there's a framed 8X10 publicity glossy of an inexplicably hoary & decrepit Capt Stubing. Anyways, whatever the reason,the guy looks good for 77, does he not? The only noticeable change is that he's grown a smidge puffier. But y'know he probably packed on those LBs right after Love Boat was cancelled-- he'd made his fortune and was SOOO damn relieved that he no longer had to wear head to toe white all tucked in & belted. And who can blame him for that? That is a tricky look to pull off, and he managed it for nearly 10 years!!

And oh yes-- I shall make with the celeb b-day trivia goodness...

Gavin MacLeod is a pseudonym...the gentleman was born "Allan See" (in Mount Kisco NY, 2/28/1930) Allan/Gavin's father was a Chippewa Indian who owned a gas station.

All this Love Boat chatter has got me thinking.....

It's established: at this point in history we seem to be in the process of running out of ideas ---evidenced by the abundance TV shows remade into movies this past decade (Starsky & Hutch, Dukes of Hazzard, Charlie's Angels, Bewitched, etc etc etc) .

WHY hasn't there been a Love Boat movie or WHY is there not one in the works?? Seems to me to have a lot of potential...you'd have the interweaving of multiple romantic subplots--a la Love Actually -- with a shot of cheesy 70s camp thrown in the mix. Sell me a ticket RIGHT NOW, per favor!!

Hmmm...let's see...some perfunctory/ preliminary casting....

I see Jimmy Fallon as Gopher...

Amanda Bynes plays Vicki?

Ewan MacGregor as Doc --he's not quite old enough I don't think but I'm thinking of him in Down With Love where he charmed me as this goofy ladies man type, while also rocking a faux nerd look.

The good Captain would be tough to cast...the bewildered straight man is very crucial to the overall formula. I'm kinda stuck on this one...maybe David Morse, although I can't see him taking a role like that.

No one particular is springing to mind for the Julie role, but I do have my mind made up for who should be Isaac--Deon Richmond. Yeah, name doesn't ring a bell for me either (had to dig it up on IMDB). But he's is Kenny from the Cosby Show--'cept all grown up. Yep, Rudy's Kenny! I'd like to see that dude get more work, because it makes me grin every time I see him onscreen. He doesn't even have to act, or do anything... it's just innately amusing, that flash of recognition I get. I chuckle and I think "Hey! It's Buuuuud!" Heh heh heh..I love that guy.

No comments: