Monday, January 14, 2008

I had a swell weekend.


Slept in till quarter of noon on Saturday and then mooched a free lunch off my parents. I was going to be a good li'l poppet and get something small or even (if I was really virtuous) a salad. But I was eyeballing the "Steakburgers" on the 99 menu and I was SOOO hankering for protein. They have really terrif burgers at the 99. So yeah, I went with the bacon cheeseburger.


Later..I watched Zodiac. Overall, I liked it. It piqued my interest in that whole Zodiac Killer case...as it is I tend to be drawn to those more macabre bits of history. I'm not much of a Jake Gyllenhall fan but there were other swell actors in the flick to enjoy--most notably Robert Downey Jr (but also I like Mark Ruffalo & Donal Logue) . I gotta say though -- the movie's got a 157 minute run time but I felt like I was watching for the full 34 years that the narrative spans. To me, the standout scary moment was that quick cameo by Ione Skye (as a motorist in DEEP distress ).

Then Sunday I picked up Roxanny and took a cruise up to Burlington. We met up with Jill at Breugger's Bagels for lunch and then the happy trio bummed around the Church St vicinity all day. Had a delish Mexican din-din. It was a very good day... I'm thankful the snowstorm held off until very early 1/14 a.m. to commence.

Sunday night I had a telly conflict-- have been wanting to see Comanche Moon for a while, but also Jane Austen January was starting up on PBS, and y'all know what an utter FREAK I've been about that. Oh, just to fully illustrate the depth of my fanaticism..I should detail in just what manner I watched Persuasion (yep, I opted to tape Comanche, so all is not lost). The movie started at 9pm and I didn't get home until 9:25 or so and I was all in a dither about missing the beginning. So I walked in the door--having a slight urge to use the loo--but instead went directly to the couch, flicked on to PBS. I thought...my urinary needs can wait until the first commercial break. Hey..tip for any newcomers to Masterpiece Theater (or those like me who haven't watched it in quite a while) there are NO commercial breaks. I watched the entire rest of the movie with my jacket on , keys on my belly, and I didn't go to the bathroom until the damn thing was over. I mean, I didn't examine it at the time, but looking at it retrospectively, that seems a smidgen, ummmm, extremist to me. Ah well.

It still PISSES me off that I missed such a hunk of the movie. I mean, I know the story, so it's not as if I didn't know what was going on. But I am nonetheless vexed. I am, with all movies, fanatical about watching them from the absolute beginning. I'm not one of those people who can be flipping around the channels and see a movie I've wanted to see that's already progressed 1/3 the way through and sit there and watch it. I just can't bear to watch it. Not even if it's a movie I know & love, have seen 500 times and know the dialogue verbatim. I still have to catch it totally ab ovo, or skip it entirely.

So, knowing this quirk of mine, it really speaks volumes (about how stoked I was for Jane Austen January) that I even watched the remainder of Persuasion.

No comments: