Tuesday, January 15, 2008

the CULTURE I missed out on in my formative years!!

One of my more frivolous recent purchases is Season One of The Muppet Show on DVD. I'm buying stuff outta order, as I'd already picked up Season Two. My consumer Achilles heel extends to all things Henson, though, as I am also proud owner of Sesame Street Old School DVD sets--volume 1 and 2. I try to get people (namely, my sis and parents) to buy this stuff for me for birthdays/ Christmas but they NEVER take the hint! Or maybe, the hint is taken, capably perceived, but my sister/parents just can't bring themselves to buy The Muppet Show for a 30 year old. Hell, I have no problem with it..don't know why it should bother them.

Since TV has been utter crap for ohhh, about a month now (with the notable exceptions of Comanche Moon & Jane Austen January) I've been watching a lot of DVDs. And since getting Muppet Show Season 1 --just last Fri night-- I've been watching that. The DVDs have this bonus feature they dub "Muppet Morsels" which has relevant trivia pop up onscreen during the episode. So, it's The Muppet Show a la Pop-up Video. Anyways, this trivia text always mentions--during these absolutely terrific Rowlf sketches-- "This was a UK spot, originally unaired in the U.S." I feel so GYPPED!! First off, let it be known that Rowlf is my most favorite Muppet. Well..he ties with Grover. But as Muppet Show Muppets go, he is numero uno. And these UK bits were all very culturally rich sketches (relatively speaking). To think, I was deprived of this so I could be subjected to extra commercials?? Really burns my Eggos, man.


I guess there is no better way to fully drive my point home than to give you a li'l taste of what we US tots missed out on...




In answer to Sam's query...I have posted below the definition of "obdurate" (a smashing vocab word, methinks)

Another fine sketch...Beethoven is the cat's jammies.....

1 comment:

Kara said...

I too am a big fan of Rowlf... he's my favorite Muppet.. but Mr. Snuffleupagus was always my fave on Sesame Street..