Thursday, May 31, 2007

Excessive loopiness is a top symptom of the dread CUBICLE FEVER

Robin and Lisa and I seemed to be extra punchy today. Lots of hollering, extra singing...it is such a lucky thing that our boss is practically deaf. Generally we save "extra-punchy" for Fridays. I sure hope this doesn't mean we're going to be all sober and reserved tomorrow.


Robin said something I said sounded like Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life -- "Oh you old Savings & Loan!!", she mimicked. And I told her it was not a half bad Jimmy Stewart impression...not as spectacular as her Vincent Price impression, but decent. Because Robin's Vinny Price SLAYS me. She only sounds marginally, somewhat Vincent Price-ish, but it sends me into hysterics just the same. I can't help it ...like some comedic Achilles heel. Anyways... watching a snippet of The Next Best Thing last night had gotten impressions/impersonators on my brain, I suppose, because I then began musing- "I don't know why there aren't more Vincent Price impersonators, 'cause that seems like it would be a lot of fun. You could put that part from Thriller in your act" And then, because we had been discussing Ethel Merman earlier in the day (don't ask) I added, "And there should be more Ethel Merman impersonators. I do enjoy an Ethel Merman impression... doing one or hearing one." And Robin asked "So what do you want-- Vincent Price singing Everything's Coming Up Roses ?" And I said "Oh yes! But save it for my birthday!" She sang a few lines in her best Vincent anyway. And then we were imagining Ethel Merman in House of Wax. It was damned amusing in a totally idiotic way. There were a coupla times today I feared we might get "spoken to".


See that's the sort of thing I wish we'd just IMed about and then I'd have just posted the screen caps. Because when I recap the discussion it's all dilluted and not quite funny and then I feel the need to add an apologetic "Guess you had to be there" end-disclaimer. Sucks. Speaking of IM screen caps, I'd meant to post a chat last Wed and forgot all about it. Here is some stale banter...


Hmm..lemme see...what background info do y'all need? Not much, really. This particular chat was extraordinary for 2 reasons--


1. Usually we get a chat going because we have catty rude comments to make that we don't want to shout across the office & broadcast. But in this case, we actually had a meeting "action item" (that's some neat corporate jargon I picked up between naps one day) namely, whether or not to get something for Heather on account of her upcoming wedding. It was sort of silly...people who get hitched get enough loot as it is, and Heather's pretty bitchy most of the time. Oh, but please note how commendably mum I was on the topic of "Bride & Groom ball caps" I thought that idea was totally gay (and I don't mean that in a homophobic way...it's just that I've way surpassed my month's quota on the word "retarded" that's all)


2. Also we managed to get Lisa into this chat...she usually doesn't linger for any banter...tends to be a good corporate sheepie and use the IM svc for business purposes only. It's really disgusting. I'm glad that we were able to corrupt her this once for just this little while.

Oh, and my remark about Laurel's RR colleagues and all that is referencing back to when she was lamenting her money woes and I suggested, because her apartment is very near to the railroad tracks, that she take on a 2nd job "servicing" RR engineers and maybe (depending on how very destitute she is) the occasional boxcar hobo . I told her it is a rapidly growing field (railroad prostitution, that is) that has yet to really take off in this part of the nation, but has flexible hours & she could do coffee breaks in her very own kitchen. So we joke about how she's adopted this as her part time gig. We kid...but I think secretly, internally she maybe seriously weighing the pros & the cons...




No comments: