Friday, May 18, 2007

big Thursday finale TV

Seems like every Friday morning , when I get up, regardless of how tedious and drag-arse the week has been I will think "Friday already. Is it really Friday already?" And to jog my groggy memory I will think back..."Did I watch Thursday night TV last night??" And once I remember that, I'm reassured-- yes it IS really Friday. Kinda pathetic. Oy vey. If ever I acquired some semblence of a social life and actually went out on Thursday night I'd be pretty f-ed up on Fri morning (from lack of TV...possibly also from excessive boozing)



Anyways I did watch big finale night last night--The Office, Grey's Anatomy,& then Ugly Betty (in that order). Here's what I thought--

The Office-- How great was the way they left things w/ Jim & Pam?? It was agonizingly up-in-the-air, but still great. Now, they could be misleading us...feeding us some false hope, Jim certainly wasn't giving anything away (very nonchalant with that invite) but Pam looked like she was dying to bust out with a little jig of glee (too bad Jenna Fischer won't be doing jigs anytime soon...that suuucks)


I also liked the twist ending of Ryan getting the corporate job. It was a nice, overdue, moment of glory for him. I mean when you think about it, BJ Novak has been pretty selfless in his acting role on the show -- Ryan , while he does have his moments of very amusing, understated humor, is very much a background character. Which is interesting when you consider that Novak does quite a bit of the show's writing and is an assoc. producer. Anyways, even though I wanted a wee bit more on the Jim-Pam story at the tail end of the episode, I was still pretty pleased with Ryan's little triumph.



Also I am curious to read Creed's blog. Really. "The Office" is big on 'net tie-ins, so I half-expect that faux-blog to be materializing sometime soon.


Grey's Anatomy-- it might be quicker to rattle off what wasn't disappointing about this episode.Such a bleak downnote to end the season on...although I suppose less of a down note than last season's finale (that was the 1st Grey's ep I'd ever watched...the one where Denny croaked) I missed Season 1...did that end miserably too??



So, what was good about this episode... more than anything, it renewed and strengthened my appreciation for eyebrows. One tends to take for granted how deeply BIZARRO folks look sans eyebrows. And it seems that chicks named Sandra are especially odd looking when eyebrowless..I took particular note of this fact.



I was also pleased that Alex turned down Ferryaccident-Ava/Rebecca even if he is going to be all anguished by his regrets. I do NOT like her ...no good reason, I just don't. Can't explain it, I just feel that the sooner she takes off with her miracle baby & Jason/Jeremy London & fades into oblivion the better. Ok...I have to pause now and check to see which twin that was guest starring last night. 'Cause that's gonna bug me... DAMN IT ALL TO HOBOKEN I can't find anywhere whether it was Jason or Jeremy!! Seems like that would be easy enough info to ferret out but just YOU try and find it!! It's like a damned state secret. I have a hard time telling those two dudes apart--you mighta noticed they're identical twins, yes? Although, I think one of them has puffed up a bit and aged less gracefully so they really should be easier to differentiate these days. I think it was Jason on Grey's because Ava/Rebecca's hubby was a fairly pleasing bit of eye-candy and I think it was Jeremy who has grown puffed up and haggard-looking. Sorry Jer. But in his defense, Jeremy has beau coup awesome points for all eternity for portraying T.S. in Mallrats. Sure, Jason was in Dazed & Confused, which definitely gets more notice as being an awesome movie, which WAS good but Mallrats truly was considerably awesomer. So says me.

In homage, I shall post a Mallrats still at this juncture...

How goddamn adorable was Jason Lee ?? Oh, he's getting old now and I'm sick of his Earl Hickey moustache. I still do love him though. But looking at this pic, there's no denying that Brodie Bruce was the very apex of Jason Lee's adorability. Look at him! He very much resembles the "sink your ball in the clown's mouth and win a free round of mini golf" clown but he is STILL irre-fucking-sistible!! If I were Shannon Doherty I woulda been all over that. Anyways...I have grossly digressed..FF from 1995 to this past Thursday night..

I was mucho disappointed that Christina & Burke didn't get hitched. They are (or were, I should say) the only 100% GOOD pairing on the show. Derek & Mer are too pained and angsty to bear and I can't bring myself to give a rat's arse whether they sink or float. George & Callie I want to succeed, mostly because I really like Callie (I really liked Izzie too, but her recent hankerin' for homewreckin' & related George fixation are pissing me off) A Karev/Addison fling mighta been interesting, but that pairing resulted in barely a blip on the narrative radar screen. But Burke & Christina are a good pair. And maybe I get Burke's motives for the 180 he pulled, that was really unforgiveable timing. Horrible!!



Ugly Betty-- So the seemingly impending Henry hook-up has been put off yet again. The course of true love never did run smooth. I mean, look at how smoothly and easily Hilda reunited with Santos. Reunited, dating, engaged--bing, bang,boom with nary a hitch. And see how that turned out. So you see, the roadblock for Henry & Betty is a good thing,really. Probably if their dinner had gone well they woulda professed their love& hit the sheets, the next morning she would've sighed "I'm soo happy" and that thoughtless, blissful proclamation would have jinxed everything (as often it does) dooming Henry to be killed by falling space debris 20 min later on his way to work.
But poor Santos. His demise might have been partly brought on by Justin's bad karma. I mean, it's fine that he's this fabulous, flamboyant, gay preteen and it's generally a very charming character, but poisoning someone to get the lead in a play?? EVIL. I've always thought he was wickedly self centered the way he --even with all his fashion prowess--let his aunt go out in public looking like that. I mean, I know one of the themes of the show is the importance of one's inner beauty but UUUGH! Betty's wardrobe is over-the-top putrid. She looks like she trawls thrift shops ...not in a trendy way...but picking up the most hideous geriatric rags possible.

Oh, and for that matter, this makes Betty's "pal" Christina evil too. How could a practicing fashion designer let her friend dress so atrociously on a daily basis? Good to know though that she (Christina) has a secret hubby she left behind in Scotland, as her mention of him pretty much ensures that he will come to town to hunt her down. He had better be a hottie. TV is lacking in hot guys with Scottish accents. Sorely lacking...it's..it's a terrible tragedy. And no sooner had Amanda dropped her "Faye Somers was a friend of my family" bombshell than we find out that she is likely Faye's secret daughter. I'll say...this show is NOT one to drag out a storyline!! But let the record show, I had already called it. Maybe this will mean Faye's not dead. I mean, it doesn't really impact the story to find that her presumed mother (who is not ever featured on the show) is not really her mother but another woman (now dead) is. It has to link somehow to the present, which means either Faye is NOT dead or the remote possibility that Bradford Meade is her secret father, and that would tie up very neatly in a narrative sense but would also mean she's banged her own half-bro on numerous occasions and I doubt ABC would dare be so controversially icky. At least not during the 8-9pm time slot.