Monday, October 02, 2006

Laugh already, you big dummy!!


I happened upon that quote (at left) this a.m. in my online meanderings. Not brief enough to be catchphrasey, but I do like it. It upped ol' Shakey's stock for me...y'know in that make-believe stock exchange in my head. Although, he was already a hot stock anyway ...it's a Bard's market. Ouch, I am ill-equipped to do Stock Market humor. HOWEVER, if I am to subscribe to this sentiment here at left, it is absolutely irrelevant how lame-ass my Shakespeare stock joke was...it's solely your fault if you remained unamused. Honestly, I am not so absolute in my take on it...I think it's apt to be either-- sometimes it's a faulty joke, sometimes a dim audience. But it probably was a big help to Shakespeare to have such a haughty attitude about it. That's how he could be such a prolific playwright...he could just crank out the work with minimal fretting over whether or not his audience will "get it". If they don't get it...it's their fault for being stupid. Sweeeet.
You know when you've tried to be cute/witty/hi-freakin-larious and are met with dead silence (the beneficiary of your humor, that ingrate bastard, does not even have the social grace to fake amusement) and then you feel like an ass? Maybe next time I have one of those moments (and they are not infrequent por moi, I'm afraid) I will try--if I remember to-- to quote this snippet o' Shakespeare, adapting the persona of the biggest intellectual snob ever.

My boss is out today. It seems she broke her ankle in 2 places in a fall from a chair. I prefer to think that she was hangingup some kind of Halloween garland at the time. It could be that she was standing on a chair in the course of some drunken revelling, I don't know for sure that that wasn't the case. But that 2nd scenario makes me snigger and how callous of me to snigger at someone with a smashed-up ankle?? I don't want to be a callous meanie of a person. So, until the official report is released, we're going with the assumption that Mags had a nasty holiday decorating accident.

Truly, I can't snigger (or snicker, if you prefer) ...if it was just a broken ankle, yeah, I possibly could, but I guess she bonked her head too. And that stuff is scary. Unless you have the amazing luck of Doc Brown and conceive of something amazing like a FLUX CAPACITOR by bonking your head on the edge of the bathtub. Welllll, that would probably still be pretty scary while in the moment, but y'know, down the road, after you've converted a DeLorean into a WORKING TIME MACHINE, you're probably thinking "Gee whiz, I guess that bonk on the noggin wasn't all that bad". I wonder if Maggie came up with any decent inventions as a result of her Halloween decorating mishap. ....Shit, that was bad of me...not sniggering, exactly, but I'm being glib. Head injuries do really freak me out. I suppose jokingly alluding to 80s movies is a way of seeking solace for me. Really, I am not a cold-hearted bitch---honest!!

No comments: