Monday, October 09, 2006

MMmmm mmm meatloaf, milk, Monday

That's right, it's Monday, I'm munching a lunchie of meatloaf and milk and looking MAAAARVELOUS. And I'm listening to Verdi. Which doesn't really jive with my MMmmmotif but let's just be nonspecific and call it music. 'Kay...that works.

It's unusual for me to have a milk as my midday beverage, but I was spooked by some news item I saw on the 'net today about cola having ravaging effects on the bones. Now I dig cola too much to kick it completely, but this has made me consider cutting down. I am hereby resolving to drink more milk and beer. Probably I should drink more water--I don't mind drinking H2O, but my gripe with that is that I REALLY prefer Perrier or some bubbly kinda water and for some reason, bubbly water is not really peddled to the masses like flat bottled water is. What I mean is, you can buy flat water in pretty much any packaging you like -- 20 oz bottles, mini bottles, big milk jugs...whatever. But Perrier & the like-- your only option is really a liter bottle. NOT handy. I can't believe I would be the only one vexed by this...am I??

So here's my weekend in an idiomatic nutshell--
Saturday: Went to calling hours and funeral ( a friend's father died on Wed) afterward I went out for Chinese in Claremont (and I gotta give C-mont credit...they've got a lot more goin' on downtown than I'd realized. Makes me think maybe I've been missing out by just hitting Washington St when I visit) If you ever find yourself in Claremont NH (by some kooky happenstance) and you pop into CHINA DELIGHT for a meal, I strongly advise you: DO NOT GET THE GENERAL TSO'S CHICKEN. It was foul (haaaha ha. I'm pretty punny) I consider myself a bit of a General Tso's (in all its various names: General Tsau, General Gau, however you opt to spell the good General's name) afficionado. And this was unequivocably the worst I've ever had. One of my fellow diners had the same thing and she said the offense was an excess of soy sauce, but I thought it had a strangely sour taste to it (not salty like I associate with soy sauce) like as if they used VINEGAR. Anyhow, it was some naaaaasty stuff. But I can't give China Delight a flat-out bad review, because their boneliss spareribs were stellar. So, in short-- worth a visit, but steer clear of the General!!
Sunday: Went to Harpoon brewery's Octoberfest with Roxanne. Spent too much money on Octoberfest paraphenalia but I'm more or less unremorseful. I'm rather in love with my big beer mug and very in love with my Octoberfest tee-shirt (which I'm currently sporting today...one of the best perks of an absentee boss is wearing whatever the hell my mood dictates) I resolved once upon a time that I wanted to amass tee shirts from places and/or events I've been to. I mean a T-shirt from Harpoon's Octoberfest is really more worthwhile than some trashy tee that says "Vixen" in rhinestones or some such bullshit. It means something, it has fond memories attached to it for me and to others it communicates something substantial. I have been to Octoberfest. I like to drink beer. But it conveys something about me in a much more evocative & subtle way than say, a tee shirt that says "LUSH" on it with rhinestones. I suppose,at some level, I have posterity on the brain and some subconcious wish to create a legacy of cotton tees.

Well, I'll ramble more later. Gotta jet to meet Laura & Seth for dinner @ Friendly's....

Ciao babies!!

No comments: